PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I am still relatively new to this hobby but I have done a lot of reading, on this site and others people always talk about how you should dry out your tobacco, I have tried drying my baccy and I just don't like it as much, no matter what I'm drying. Am I the only person out there who just preferred there baccy a little moist?

Jul 15, 2011
Different smokes for different folks, my friend. Some people like their baccy moist, some like it somewhere in the middle, and some, like me, like to smoke their tobacco when it is almost dusty dry. That said, there are some tobaccos that smoke different types of tobaccos at different moisture levels. For instance, Greg Pease said long ago that he likes his latakia mixtures dry, but likes more moisture in his Virginias because it helps bring out more flavor. Me, I like my Virginias on the dry side, but I like an aromatic to be a little more moist than others. Experiment with different types of tobaccos and see what you like best.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I NEVER enjoy bone dry tobacco, I dont enjoy too moist tobacco either, there is a specific moisture content that I enjoy, and it holds true for just about every blend ive tried so far. The only way I can describe it is its only a little tiny bit dryer than orlik golden sliced is when opened. Thats the best I can do, and thats ust me, I am sure everyone has their optimum moisture level. Just dry it out a little, and if it smokes wet, dry it out more next time, rinse and repeat.
Youll figure it out. What it comes down to is, dont do what everyone says, do what you like. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.
John

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I mostly smoke virginas, right now I can't get enough of Mac Baren's Dark Twist which if your not familiar with that baccy is a virgina. Mabye if I smoke somthing else I'll like it dryer. Thanks for the replies :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah this issue definitely falls in the category of personal preference...no pat answer. I find I like most blends on the dry side personally.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
wnghanglow, Mac Baren blends aren't really moist blends, and even I, who likes very dry tobacco, seldom dries their stuff. You'll eventually run across really moist blends that really do need to be dried.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Tiltjlp, I noticed they came very dry, I have to put a humidifying pouch * I forget what those are called* in a zip lock bag for a few days to moisten the blend up, then I'm able to smoke to my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.