PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
Being a n00b, I'm still learning and trying to figure it out. Bigpond hit on a point with
We’ve been told by Esoterica the blends are for immediate consumption, no hint of drying, and tins have an near identical level of humidity to bags. S.Gawith again has consistent moisture, but I’ve always suspected they’re screwing us for a few extra bucks, but they’ve been around for more than 200 years. So, what gives?
I was wondering the same thing? I order two different aromatic blends, 4oz of each and one bag fills up 2 jars to the top and the other blend fills up 1-1/4 jars. The moisture level is obviously very different. Like I said, I'm still learning and trying to figure this whole thing out. I am not calling any one company/blender out, just noting differences and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm positive it will be worth it in the long run once I get a basic system down, but I'll admit that it's a bigger learning curve than I realized. But...I am finding this very fun and I do enjoy learning how to master new things. 4 smokes down....7,000,796 to go.

No one is telling you to dry out your tobacco. The beauty of pipes is that you can do whatever you want. There is no manufacturer recommended way to smoke, and screw the bastards if they tried. You may smoke your blends fresh out of the tins, all you want. You are free to do what you want. And, anyone who tells you likewise... then damn their lying eyes to hell. Do what you want. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was wondering the same thing? I order two different aromatic blends, 4oz of each and one bag fills up 2 jars to the top and the other blend fills up 1-1/4 jars. The moisture level is obviously very different. Like I said, I'm still learning and trying to figure this whole thing out. I am not calling any one company/blender out, just noting differences and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm positive it will be worth it in the long run once I get a basic system down, but I'll admit that it's a bigger learning curve than I realized. But...I am finding this very fun and I do enjoy learning how to master new things. 4 smokes down....7,000,796 to go.
First off, the referenced quote, made by Robert Germain, blender of the Esoterica tobaccos, had nothing to do with moisture. It referred specifically to the practice of cellaring, to which he objected. He was objecting to any notion that any of the blends they released were not ready for consumption upon release.
Different houses have different practices and different beliefs, when it comes to tinning. You will find that a number of UK blending houses tin at higher moisture levels. Other blending houses, like Hearth & Home tin at lower moisture levels. Why? Beats me. But some will say it has to do with the water. My guess would be that it keeps the contents from drying out over time, but since cellaring wasn't a widespread practice until fairly recently, it probably has nothing to do with that.
Keep experimenting. That's how you figure out what works for you. Nobody told me to dry my tobacco to extract the most flavor from it. I figured that out for myself as a result of experimenting with the blends I smoke. And the level to which I often dry it goes well beyond anything that was discussed on this or any other forum until fairly recently. People would post about drying tobacco for 20 minutes. I had done that and moved on to what I do today, which has nothing to do with arbitrary lengths of time, just moisture content and what gives me the best (for me) results.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Intentional cellaring is a relatively recent development but I would not be surprised in the slightest if old school producers like Samuel Gawith aimed to preserve their tinned tobaccos for as long as possible using higher moisture levels. It makes good business sense as shelf life is maximized and less tobacco is needed while quality remains top notch.
I don't like to store things as dry as Cosmic suggests but I think significant drying time is essential before every smoke. I wouldn't go to extremes but I take reasonable measures to prevent moisture loss until I am ready to enjoy the tobacco. All I can say is that I am very happy with this balanced approach.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
In general, people benefit from drying their tobacco so I won't object to the general content of this thread. I just find that maintaining consistency is preferable to moisture fluctuations so I keep my cellar a certain way. I agree that we all need to discover our preference and that most blenders require rying time so we all share some of the same perspectives on this matter.
I used to smoke my Captain Black White or Sail Green when it was so damp! I really wish that I understood the importance of moisture content in relation to smoke quality when I first started...

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I’m just starting out and glad to hear dry tobacco can get you a good smoke
.. also discovered taking a light from a campfire twig .. oo la la ..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
People would post about drying tobacco for 20 minutes. I had done that and moved on to what I do today, which has nothing to do with arbitrary lengths of time, just moisture content and what gives me the best (for me) results.
20 minutes might work in Las Vegas, but is usually far too short to reduce moisture to any degree. So if Joe say he does this and that to get to a fine smoke, you have to have the same conditions AND like the tobacco the way Joe does.
In general, people benefit from drying their tobacco so I won't object to the general content of this thread. I just find that maintaining consistency is preferable to moisture fluctuations so I keep my cellar a certain way
Would you kindly expand on this? I don't quite follow.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Ugh...this forum needs an auto-thread follow option.
Re: the Germain’s reference- here it is in full:
Dear Mr. Bakkus,
We manufacture our tobacco to be enjoyed at acquisition.
If you wish to "cellar" our blends, be it on your own head.
From our point of view, why would you want to faff around with our product?
We produce hand-made products only. Your contents may vary. That is all.
Please do not be a "cellarer" unless you are willing to admit that you think

that you can do better.
John Germain
Director

J.F. Germain & Son Ltd.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Are we sure Salty Dogs isn’t a Germain’s original? ‘Cuz that JG was a salty ol’sunovab

Oct 7, 2016
It is hard for me to believe that Mr Germain can smoke his own product fresh from the tin without multiple relights and the associated negative consequences. But that is a different issue than cellaring, the multiple reasons for which have been restated here ad infinitum. You can be completely agnostic as to whether cellaring improves the taste of a particular blend and still be a cellarer. I doubt Plumcake by Germains improves much with age, but I could still rationally choose to cellar it. What would be completely irrational, in my opinion, is to try to smoke it fresh out of a tin from a recent drop. It needs at least _some_ dry time even if you don't go to the point I would.

Someone at Germain & Son should have taken away pawpaw’s devices, because that doesn’t leave me with much respect for the curmudgeon. Of course every dog has his day, and maybe the SOB was having a bad one. We all have from time to time, but the statement itself leaves me with a “screw the bastard” reaction. I didn’t see this post by him when it happened, but I would have gladly posted my reaction in that thread. Per Jensen is one that I have come to enjoy his Instagram and other social media posts, but he did post a comment once that also left me wanting to show him my finger. But, like I said, every dog has a day. And, I have since come to enjoy Per’s comments on other media’s. I think that CEOs, owners, and representatives of companies should tread lightly when making statements that represent their company. But, of course the frenzy over a Germain products is so ridiculous that he could have told us all that we were stupid for buying his product and that is was made with added pubic hair, and idiots would still rush out to fill closets with the stuff.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In fairness to the recently departed Mr Germain, the letter was meant to be a private correspondence to a gentleman looking for redress for years old tobacco left in it’s original bagging. Perhaps he would have used a different tone if he had been alerted his message was going out to the world.
@OGS

Yep, bang on, he didn’t address moisture specifically.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ahhh...faffing about. OK. John, you had it right. Faffing, fapping, either way it's about wasting time, though fapping does have its benefits.
Frankly, I take no exception to Germain's remarks. He shows a bit of passion for what they do and an understandable umbrage over people acting like they produce and release an incomplete product.
Maybe if people stopped hoarding it to age and just bought it to smoke, there would be more of it to go around.
Nah, silly idea...more people are hoarding it to screw their fellow brothers in piping and skin them for a few bucks, than for aging. So carry on.
Oh, and try smoking your tobaccos well dried. It's even better than fapping about.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is what your face should look like once you have smoked a perfectly prepared tobacco with perfect dryness in a perfectly packed and perfectly made pipe. If/when you encounter this sensation, as did the OP, then burn that experience in your brain for future smokes.

when_speedsculpting_feels_just_right_by_laloon-d9yfgjc.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In fairness to the recently departed Mr Germain, the letter was meant to be a private correspondence to a gentleman looking for redress for years old tobacco left in it’s original bagging. Perhaps he would have used a different tone if he had been alerted his message was going out to the world.
@OGS

Yep, bang on, he didn’t address moisture specifically.
And we don't know the tone of the e-mail(s) from the gentleman to Mr. Germain, or if in fact he was a gentleman. I recall a bit of a kerfuffle over the posting of a private email. Anyone recall the poster?
OK, back to faffing bout this morning....

Status
Not open for further replies.