PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Any harm to leave my briar pipe under the sun for like an hour or 2 ?(without the stem)

Mar 1, 2014
Basically any time you're drying a natural material you want it to happen slowly and without adding heat. Most natural materials change shape depending on moisture content and rapidly changing can make it start cracking and splitting, especially if the surface is drying significantly faster.

What you do want is air movement at ambient temperature, so leaving your pipe outside in the shade might not be a bad idea, but in the Sun it's going to heat up, not to mention the Sun bleaches colour out of things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes dry nicely without added heat, mostly. You don't want to rush them. The main thing is time and reasonable humidity.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only way your pipe will not get a sunburn is if you are using a sunscreen with a 50 PSF rating. Why you would want to leave your pipe in the sun is beyond my comprehension. The wood has a very good chance of cracking so I personally would never do it. Until this thread I have never heard of anyone even think about doing this.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think if the OP was drying his briar on Mercury it would be damaging, but setting it in a sunbeam for a while I'm sure wont have adverse effects.
Why you would want to leave your pipe in the sun is beyond my comprehension
If you followed this logic, why you would make a small fire inside a pipe bowl?
Why is it that when you take a piece of wood(something found in nature) and carve it into the shape of a pipe, it some how turns it into something less durable than an old piece of wood.
People posting here with questions like this, or "OMG, I left my pipe in the rain what am I going to do?".
Everyone needs to remember it's just a piece of wood, and wood has been exposed to the elements since the beginning of time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Maybe you guys just don't have the sun we have here in Florida. I see people frying eggs on the side walk every day. They also have bacon and sausage grilling along side the eggs.

The sun must be unbelievably hot as hell where all of you that fear it are. I don't follow this fear of the sun logic. This stiff cracks me up. GLP had even written an article about driving out ghosts by putting your pipe in the oven, like that is less heat than the sun? My pipe occasiobally will set in the sun, and they're way more beautiful than everyone else's pipes. I take immaculate care of mine, not a hint of oxides on the stems, and the briar looks stunning. But, maybe if you're smoking some redone old eatate pipe that is as fragile as a wineglass... I don't know.

Anyways, I tend to prefer just drive on the interstate, which in Alabama is on average about 85-90mph and holding the pipe out the window. :puffy:

• Haha
Reactions: Papamique

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Clear as mud now, Larry? :mrgreen:
You will find a multitude of opinions on almost every topic here and a range of people from those who keep unsmoked pipes in a safe to those that think of the pipe as a tool.
In the end, do as you see fit and what works for you ... welcome to the forum! :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The overnight lows here in Vegas in the summer are still usually 100F. I wouldn't leave a pipe out in this desert sun.
I don't really get the whole trying to speed up the drying time. Part of pipe smoking is learning to slow down and be patient.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If you do this by accident, even a couple of times, you'll probably see no harm come to th e pipe, depending on outdoor temperatures. Maybe some UV disinfection? I just don't see any sense in leaving a destemmed pipe out in the sun on purpose.
Is there more to this story you could tell us?

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I don't see much harm in it. As said above, if the pipe is very moist after smoking, then you might want to let it dry/cool off with the stem attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.