PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Putting this out there for anyone interested.

I don't go nuts working in the yard, but I do like to have green grass and a well-kept lawn. For many years now I've been using dry molasses exclusively as my fertilizer. I heard about it from a friend and decided to try it. I'll let the results speak for themselves.

These pics were taken a couple weeks ago when my lawn started greening up again after the winter (it's way greener now). You can see the line where my neighbor's yard begins and mine ends. All I do to my lawn is spread dry molasses a few times during the spring/summer and mow. I don't do weed-and-feed, trad. fertilizers, etc. - just molasses.

I've not even watered my lawn yet this year and the rains have been somewhat sparse.

Some people claim it doesn't work, so maybe it's a combination of the soil, climate, and St. Augustine grass where I live. I don't know. But it's worth a try if you're curious.

A 50 lb. bag of dry molasses goes for about $25 where I live, where a 50 lb bag of fertilizer would easily cost twice that, if not more. I don't use a fancy spreader or measure; I just get a plastic pint cup and sling the entire bag all over the lawn.

It is sugar, so you'd think it would attract ants, but it does not. Very strange.

Anyway, if you want to get into organic lawn maintenance, give it a shot. I wasn't trying to be hipster but was just being my usual parsimonious self, and whaddaya know, it worked!
IMG_9812.jpgIMG_9813.jpgIMG_9814.jpgIMG_9954.jpg

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
PS:
I meant to say this in my original post. When I get a troubled spot / bald spot in the lawn, I don't get some chemical or solution to spread on it; rather I get some good black dirt/compost and mix in a little of the molasses. Water it often and before you know it, the grass has gobbled up the new soil and filled in the gaps. Works every time.

All said, the lawn care industry, like most industries, is just another racket and a money-grab. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff to get results.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
That answers my question, what’s it primary purpose. Animal feed. Thanks for this.

Does it inhibit weeds?
It doesn't "kill" weeds but it makes the lawn (my lawn, anyway) so healthy that it naturally chokes out the weeds. Takes longer than traditional fertilizer to be sure, but it works. I have St. Augustine grass and live in North Texas. What kind of grass do you have?

Reactions: mingc

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I noted the high mineral (ash) content. I'm guessing iron is the nutrient your grass craved. Molasses is high in iron. My mom gave us spoonfuls of it like a vitamin tonic.
Edit: now I see the protein number. There's your nitrogen.