PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I recall reading somewhere that Lynchburg County in Tennessee is a dry county meaning alcohol is a big no no.

The thing is, Jack Daniels is made in Lynchburg County so how do they deal with folks at the end of the distillery tour who wish to purchase one or more of their products?

Is Lynchburg County alone or are there others in the whiskey/bourbon making areas that don't permit sale of the lovely stuff?

Regards,

Jay.?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, Lynchburg is in Moore county, which is dry. The honest answer is it’s rather complicated. There are no liquor stores, and you can’t buy liquor by the drink in restaurants there, but the Jack Daniel distillery has certain exceptions to allow for tastings on the premises, as well as for certain bottles to be sold on site.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I recall reading somewhere that Lynchburg County in Tennessee is a dry county meaning alcohol is a big no no.

The thing is, Jack Daniels is made in Lynchburg County so how do they deal with folks at the end of the distillery tour who wish to purchase one or more of their products?

Is Lynchburg County alone or are there others in the whiskey/bourbon making areas that don't permit sale of the lovely stuff?

Regards,

Jay.?
I don’t have a list, but there are dry counties throughout the American south. My dad grew up in southern Mississippi in a dry county, and there was a guy in his hometown who used to go to the grocery store every week and buy a gallon of imitation vanilla extract. He’s tell anyone who would listen that “when my wife bakes a cake, she bakes a hellova cake.”

Reactions: mawnansmiff

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I always found the "dry county" concept kind of shocking and almost anachronistic. I mean, how could it be that voters have not yet unwound local-level prohibition-era throwback restrictions on booze? Aren't country boys known for their love of beer? (I can confidently answer this question with a "yes" as it describes about half of my male relatives including my dad).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Well, Lynchburg is in Moore county,"

Haparnold, thanks for correcting me on my poor geography of the USA ?

I need to study this dry thing a little more.

Off topic but related, some years ago (1984 ish) me and a pal decided in the pub one night to go camping in Wales for a few days (I lived in Sheffield, Yorkshire back then) using my Kawasaki motorcycle to get us there and hopefully back.

Long story short, we set up camp on the Sunday evening then wandered into the nearest town for a beer or five. Well there were plenty of pubs but they were all closed! I asked a passing local why this was and he explained we were in a dry area and if we wanted a drink we had to hit the next town five or so miles away in a different 'wet' district!!!

It turns out that the district councils voted every five years or so on the subject and as the majority of councillors in the area we camped were 'chapel' people and they opposed drinking on Sundays!

Regards,

Julian.?

Aug 1, 2012
I always found the "dry county" concept kind of shocking and almost anachronistic. I mean, how could it be that voters have not yet unwound local-level prohibition-era throwback restrictions on booze? Aren't country boys known for their love of beer? (I can confidently answer this question with a "yes" as it describes about half of my male relatives including my dad).
Have you heard of Utah? nana

Aug 1, 2012
"Well, Lynchburg is in Moore county,"

Haparnold, thanks for correcting me on my poor geography of the USA ?

I need to study this dry thing a little more.

Off topic but related, some years ago (1984 ish) me and a pal decided in the pub one night to go camping in Wales for a few days (I lived in Sheffield, Yorkshire back then) using my Kawasaki motorcycle to get us there and hopefully back.

Long story short, we set up camp on the Sunday evening then wandered into the nearest town for a beer or five. Well there were plenty of pubs but they were all closed! I asked a passing local why this was and he explained we were in a dry area and if we wanted a drink we had to hit the next town five or so miles away in a different 'wet' district!!!

It turns out that the district councils voted every five years or so on the subject and as the majority of councillors in the area we camped were 'chapel' people and they opposed drinking on Sundays!

Regards,

Julian.?
One of the more interesting customs I've run across in my travels are the dry days in Catholic countries. You want a beer on Good Friday in many of them? Too bad don't even mention Easter.

Of course India is way worse, they have dozens of days where it is illegal to purchase alcohol and can spring one whenever they want to. It's worse in some states than others.

The most interesting to me is that Thailand has a law where you can't get booze between (I think) 2pm and 5pm. Of course it is enforced for tourists but I've seen some tuktuk drivers getting their daily tipple during these times.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My town has dry areas and wet. Sells are Moday through Saturday from 7:00AM to 12:AM.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
To be fair, it’s really just a particular brand of Christianity: Evangelical, charismatic Protestantism. There is also a Catholic contingency in the south that has created one of the great drinking cities of the world: New Orleans.
My city of Louisville has much in common with New Orleans, and being raised catholic in a catholic neighborhood I’m no stranger to the boozier sacraments.

Aug 1, 2012
My favorite (least favorite) drinking law in Utah is the fact that they can only serve near beer on tap. Want to try Moab Brewing’s IPA (a pretty good one) at the brewery? You’re getting a can.
They serve 3.2% ABW (4.0% ABV) on tap. That's still stronger than a lot of British draught beer (and Czech which is often considered the best lager in the world) but weaker than we're used to.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
In this state, "dry" has little to do with the prohibition of alcohol. It has a lot to do with the control of alcohol, especially its sale. As with most all economic systems, those who make the laws make the money.

"Religion" is simply the magician's sleight of hand.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had no idea they still had dry counties. I would have thought that big liquor would have bought the right senators and congressman to over turn that shit. Every American has the right to live in a place where he can get drunk as hell and walk home. It is un American I tell ya.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.