Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with drummer John Ferraro. John's credits include playing with Larry Carlton on and off for 18 years, along with Barry Manilow's world tour, Boz Skaggs, George Benson, Aaron Neville, Eddie Van Halen, Rod Stewart, and even The Young & The Restless on TV ... to name only a few! He is of course, a pipe smoker. In the Pipe Parts segment, Brian will follow up on questions from last week's episode on tobacco and drink pairings, and ask for feedback on the format of the segment.
john-ferraro.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'll think about ideas for Pipe Parts..but an interview I (and probably many others) would be very interested in is Frederico Becker. Seems that since Paolo passed away he's been busy making some gorgeous pipes, but there's scant information out there about him and no interviews that I've seen. He doesn't even have an entry on pipedia!

neilk

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
I just wanted to share about some of the gifts I got this year. First, ordered by me from Santa, is a nice little Hilson sled pipe(nice grain), second was three tins of Seattle Pipe club blends(first time trying). The pipe and tobaccos where specials by Pipes and Cigars that I couldn't pass up. The Hilson was $49.

Then I received my first gift pipe from a non pipe smoker. My in-laws really impressed me. First they gave me some "Cubans", they picked up while on a cruise. The stoggies are not that impressive or Cuban, but it's the thought that counts. They also gave me a Leonessa bent billiard, with a receipt from a local b&m. The grain is not great, but I decided to keep it for the sentimental worth. I've never heard of Leonessa, but so far it's a good smoker. It has a vulcanite stem which has been refreshing, it seems most of my pipes are acrylic stemmed.

Both pipes were under $60 each, but good smokers.

My very first pipe was a Christmas present about 25 years ago. My friend and I decided to buy each other pipes. I usually only smoked it at Christmas time, but not even every Christmas. It was Christmas time when I went to see the first Hobbit movie and decided I needed to smoke my pipe more often. I'm a 5-7 time a week pipe enthusiast now. My pipe journey along with the influence of Bing Crosby, makes Christmas and pipes forever joined in my memory. So I'm very pleased with my in-laws gifts.

I liked this episode's interview and would like to here more from non-profit participants. As a non pipe making pipe smoker it's nice to just hear from people who enjoy the hobby. It's nice to hear their pipe journey and how pipes came into it.

From a few episodes ago: ashtrays. The ashtray I use inside is one of those wooden pipe stans with the glass ashtray in the middle. I think I picked it up from a thrift store. I refinished it and bought a new glass ashtray and stuck a cork pipe knocker in it. It looks nice and is functional. For the patio and garage I bought pottery plates that go under plant pots, and epoxy glued cork knockers and cheap plastic pipe stands. Not the folding kind but the clear sorta spoon shaped ones. I've had them a few years and the epoxy holds up to the weather. If I happen to break one, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.