Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I grabbed a good amount of this when the sale popped up knowing the ingredient list was right up my alley, and having enjoyed other offerings Greg Pease has had a hand in. Does not disappoint. Broken flake, that has a sweet spot for me with about a half hour of drying time outside the tin, and what I would best describe as a lazy rub out for prep. Using the larger pieces at the bottom and gradually adding finer bits building the top of the bowl. It's flavors are smooth, and mellow. The VA definitely comes through with some classic sweetness, the perique is there, but not a major player. The addition of Latakia adds complexity without overwhelming everything else that is going on. The background smokeyness of the Lat. makes it a nice pairing for my morning coffee. The strength of this blend is not one that will have me going on about nicotine content, although there is is some to be had. It is well behaved, and burns cool throughout, usually with a relight or 2. While it does also mention Orientals in the blend, they don't stand out as a big part of the flavor profile to me.
While they are not the same, if you enjoyed the LTD. ED. Macbarens Latakia roll cake I expect this might be a good one for you to look at. Drawing parallels between the 2 in being a complex, interesting blend with subtle highlights as opposed to one dominating ingredient.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I snagged two tins a while back but have yet to try it. I wish it came in 50 gram tins! For some reason I’m loathe to crack a big paint can of something I’ve never tried.
Heh, I am loathe to shell out $20+ for a blend I've never tried! That said, I will eventually just bite the bullet because this one (and Levant) just seem too damn interesting.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Heh, I am loathe to shell out $20+ for a blend I've never tried! That said, I will eventually just bite the bullet because this one (and Levant) just seem too damn interesting.
100% agree! I’ll honestly buy 4-5 more tins of Blairgowrie, even if I haven’t cracked one yet. I love a quality English and people just rave about this one, yet somehow it’s still sort of a “sleeper” blend.

Reactions: dcon and danimalia

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
A few years ago I bought a 100g tin that I really enjoyed. I liked it so much that I immediately reordered a 200g tin. For some reason the 200g tin was not as enjoyable as it was way too smokey. The 100g tin seemed less smokey and maybe a little sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.