PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
So, day one. And I'm sure this is a problem I'll resolve. The easy answer I would guess is "swallow your spit"
However, it doesn't seem that easy. My mouth doesn't seem to Auto swallow like normal, I have to make myself do it and it's getting in the way of my relaxing ? Unless I constantly take my pipe out of my mouth I seem to just leak saliva all over my pipe and all down my chin. Is this normal beginner silliness?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s a primary reason I use filters, my saliva going down into the chamber.

Even clenching the pipe unlit, I’ll still expel saliva down the stem. Filter absorbs it all and prevents gurgle otherwise I’d be using multiple pipe cleaners every bowl to keep things dry.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
At a guess you're probably smoking a little fast and hot. The extra drool is kind of a defense to cool your mouth off. Slow down, sip some water or other and relax.
This is a huge possibility. I've tried to be very cognizant of the my heat and haven't felt the bowl get too hot to touch but it has definitely gotten hotter than I'd like. I'll take extra care To keep it cool and see if that helps some.
Thank you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
It’s a primary reason I use filters, my saliva going down into the chamber.

Even clenching the pipe unlit, I’ll still expel saliva down the stem. Filter absorbs it all and prevents gurgle otherwise I’d be using multiple pipe cleaners every bowl to keep things dry.
Glad I saved the filter when I took it out ??

Reactions: kcghost

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reminds me of a dinner I went to many years ago at a fairly intimate restaurant, featuring a recital with a very well-known Australian flautist and her trio.

We had a front-row table which was not as fortuitous as I had expected. What I hadn't anticipated was the frequent and constant "ejection" (for want of a better word) of saliva throughout the recital.

Rather off putting when you're trying to eat at the time.

Sounds terrible.
So, is it like Pavlov's dogs, when you smell a favorite blend...
Just Friends Ryan Reynolds GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

...and this lack of ability to swallow... I knew a girl, back in high school...

I say, just roll with it. Who cares what others think, right? I bet for the easily shocked, just seeing you with a pipe distracts others from even noticing that you're drooling. Maybe wear a bib when you're dressed in your nice duds.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
To drool or not to drool, that is the question?

I'm at that point in life where I really don't care what others think; now I wear a bum-bag to keep all my odds and ends and don't feel the slightest bit daggy but I do draw the line at certain things.
Like allowing myself to drool excessively would be one. Free flowing bodily fluids is just not a good look.

As for the question about swallowing; that's one for the girls to consider and hey, not really one to be addressed here I wouldn't think.

I've really not got anything constructive to add since I rarely clench a pipe.
Maybe when I'm really old and infirm and past the point of caring?

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Why don't you practice with an empty pipe clenched in your teeth. Hold the pipe in the teeth and try to control your saliva. Where and how you position the pipe in your mouth can influence the amount of saliva. It all takes time and practice. Until you get a hang of it, get lighter weight pipes. You'll be fine.

Reactions: StrawBunyan

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd forgotten about all of that, not that I am now immune to some drool when I clench and am really concentrating on something.

Pretty sure it will start to diminish soon.

OTOH, I don't think I've ever drooled down the stem.