PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I got a letter from JR Cigars inside my pipe tobacco order today. It asks for a driver licence photocopy be mailed for their customer-base files. It is in anticipation of future legislation. I called customer service because I don't need extra personal info flying around. I said I may comply only if the actual licence number could be covered up. They said the pic and DOB are what they need to see. The letter did not specify that.

If you get a letter from your own internet supplier, just know you might consider white-out over the numbers they don't need.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. This could be a bit of a pain in the ass for me because I don't own a photocopy machine. I'm sure there is a place around here that could do it for me, but the question is where? Post office maybe?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
P&C.com asks for a picture of your drivers license or something similar. I don't know if they keep it on file, but after you do it, you don't have to do it again

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's disgusting... I get a feeling that smokers are treated as criminals
Why? Is it any different from being asked for ID when you buy liquor when you are close to the legal age in your state?

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Customer service number for JR Cigar is 1-800-574-3576. They might tell you how their customer data is stored. I don't know if each internet shop will handle likewise.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I have yet to be asked of this by any of the e-tailers I have dealt with including, P&C, 4 Noggins, Cup of Joes, Smoking Pipes.com etc... but I figured this was coming sooner or later.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I suppose they're using it to prove both age of majority and residency so they don't get nailed by money hungry state taxmen? When I order from P&C they send me an email asking to me to accept any and all monetary charges levied by my government. That's what I get for being in Canada I guess. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It sounds like an irresponsible rumor to me. What's to stop a kid from using his father's driver's license (or credit card, for that matter.)

Dealers probably ask for an age or birthday as a CYA matter, but verification is really not possible.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
P&C.com asks for a picture of your drivers license or something similar. I don't know if they keep it on file, but after you do it, you don't have to do it again
They do? Did they just start doing this?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You watch they will back tax the you know what out of everybody on file . The FBI might need my picture in thier data base but my tobacconist does not .There is currently no Federal law that prohibits Internet tobacco product sales. However, there is also no exemption from Federal laws for tobacco products ordered over the Internet. Therefore, consumers who order tobacco products to be shipped to them from outside the United States are not exempt from payment of Federal excise tax and customs duties due on these products when imported.
In addition, consumers who use the Internet to buy cigarettes from vendors outside their State may be liable for their State’s cigarette excise and/or sales taxes, and a State may have prohibitions or restrictions on Internet or mail-order purchases of tobacco products, or may have special requirements for such purchases. For information about State requirements, contact the agency in your State with authority for tax administration.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Sounds like the Tobacco E-tailers smell something in the wind and trying to cover all there legal bases. Wonder what fresh hell the anti's are cooking up.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Nat Sherman does that, too, the first time around. It's just to protect themselve from the Tobacco Fascists. I'm already on enough government watch lists that I'll be in Gitmo soon anyway, so I went ahead.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
It sounds like an irresponsible rumor to me. What's to stop a kid from using his father's driver's license (or credit card, for that matter.)

Dealers probably ask for an age or birthday as a CYA matter, but verification is really not possible.
Perhaps it is a future indicator for a trend that internet tobacco vendors will adopt

as CYA maneuver. It wouldn't surprise me after all the harassment they have been getting

from AG's, the FDA, the credit card companies and the posturing politicians lately...

It is disturbing that it is more important to identify yourself for alcohol and tobacco

purchases than it is to vote.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What's to stop a kid from using his father's driver's license (or credit card, for that matter.)

There is no real way to verify. This just allows the e-tailer to say, if an issue comes up about them selling to minors, that they require ID. If the customer submitted false info,not much they can do about it.
It's really pretty silly, but there is this whole "protect the children" meme going around.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The dumb ones used to die on the play ground equipment or choke to death on hard candy and the world was a better place . Cant drag your feet behind a pick up truck on a dirt road anymore legally . Each time they take something away , life is a little less . Now go get a big Slurpie in New York city while you still can before it goes the way of the cigarette .

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
igloo we still can drag out feet behind a truck on a dirt or gravel road here if a cop sees us he just looks at us like how long will it be before i have to scoop whats left of you up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.