PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gentlemen:
Reading these posts about lathes has absolutely turned me on! I have always been fascinated with machine tools and metal lathes turning metal. I think I've watched just about every you tube about metal turning lathes. My father used a watchmaker's lathe (a minature lathe) in his work building parts for discontinued watches, but I never really learned how to use one.
I've been thinking about trying to find a shop school to take a course or to in the operation and proper procedures for this equipment.
Maybe when I retire.
thanks, Zach

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have been around Lathes all my life in the oil industry, they are good tools but dangerous, last year an elderly man at a pipe shop got killed , lathe pulled him him and destroyed him, I saw a kid I told to wear a hair net get half his scalp pulled off, an Indian couldn't done a better scalping job, missing fingers, eyes put out, Please fellow members learn how to use them safely.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Amen to that Bradley! I had 20 years experience on wood lathes and still almost got myself hurt when I started with metal lathes...Got distracted by someone walking in the shop and left a chuck key in when I started up...

Status
Not open for further replies.