PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laird Thomas

Lurker
Mar 29, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Can a clay pipe be drilled to open up the airway?

Last edited by a moderator:

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I tried that once and broke it.

The airways aren't bad, actually. But they're just about right barely at first so that any clogging at all restricts them.

Fire cleaning periodically and cleaning with a wire in the stem after does wonders. It's pretty easy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some probably do this as a challenge, and most would go through some clay pipes to achieve a completed job, but no, clay isn't the material to rework with a drill. Like I say, someone could do a surgical job of it, with just the right equipment, but I would hope they'd find something better to do with the skill set.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
When mine plugs, I use a bit of soft wire cut from a coat-hangar to poke through the length of the stem. For the ittty-bity clay nose warmers, a straightened-out large paper clip works fine.

So long as the wire is flexible and smaller diameter than the airway, you should be fine. But if you go with too thin a wire, it could slide past one side of the clog without dislodging it.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If your clay pipe is clogged, it is because you put something in it, that was supposed to burn, but didn't. The solution is to make it burn!

Here is an option on how to resolve the problem. Get a blowtorch and heat the pipe until it glows. Then carefully dip the pipe in your glass of ice tea. You will never have a problem with the pipe again!

Or, you could put some wood in your firepit and add the clay pipe to the pile. Light up the fire. Enjoy some quality time with another pipe, or family members if you must. Tomorrow morning, shift through the ashes and retrieve the pipe. I guarantee that the tobacco has been consumed. It is possible that the pipe may have a different color, but that won't affect how it smokes.

Reactions: docpierce