PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I always had good results drying my tobacco.
But recently, when drying Viprati, the taste became kind of mediocre in my opinion. And it's a pretty good tobacco when fresh out of the tin.
Do you guys think that some tobaccos don't benefit from drying?

Jan 8, 2013
I think some don't necessarily need to be dried any more than how they arrive in the tin. As a general rule, I usually let most sit out for at least ten to 15 minutes before loading up a pipe. But There are definitely some I'll load straight from the tin or jar.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Yes... I always dried it a lot, I mean, all of them.
I guess I'll try them straight from the tin/pouch before thinking about drying, from now on.
If it's too moist, I'll dry the tobacco, but not so much.

I haven't found any that I prefer to smoke moist, except for aromatics. But, some report that they like some tobaccos to be left more moist than others. Just play around, decide for yourself whether you even prefer to dry any of them. Me, I like them as dry as I can get them, but just because I prefer them that way doesn't mean that anyone else would.
It may have been suggested as a fix for a problem you may have been having; not necessarily to be taken as an absolute rule.
Play around with moisture levels. See what your tastes prefer. NO ONE HERE can tell you what you will like or dislike. That has to come from your own observations.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I know that many around here advocate for drying leaf until crispy but I honestly find that I lose something by doing this and often it makes my tobacco harsh and spikey. I only tend to dry stuff that won't burn unless I do which means that it's mostly Samual Gawith that gets this kind of treatment and I only dry it as much as I need to. Don't get me wrong though, different strokes for different folks and there are blends I do dry a lot but mostly, I like to keep the moisture and the oils in my tobacco as much as possible.
I'm also of the mind that the moisture level is part of the blenders recipe. That is to say that most of my tobaccos come at a specific moisture level for a reason. I don't know that as fact and is really just a feeling or opinion but I prefer to trust the blender. Unless it's by Gawith of course.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I’ve noticed that phenomenon. A blend I like right out of the tin is HH Syrian, when dried the flavor looses some edge. Conversely, Five Brothers (fresh from the pouch) is too dry for my tastes. I rehydrate it until it has a bit of spring back. I rehydrates, it brings out the nutty flavor of the burley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I really dislike dry tobacco as it burns hot and loses flavor to my tastes. Here are a few of the flakes that don't need any drying time for me.

Capstan Blue Flake, Gold Flake

Fribourg & treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage Flake, Special Brown Flake

Rotary Navy Cut

Brigham Klondike Gold

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Gold Slice, Gold Virginia Flake

Escudo

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, Dunhill Flake

Solani 633 and Silver Flake

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
All my flakes that are made by Samuel Gawith need significant drying time. Here are few others that need time to dry.

Curly Block

Salty Dogs

Butera Dark Stoved

Stonehaven

Peterson University Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.