Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dr. John, whose fame rose in the sixties and seventies with his band Dr. John and the Night Trippers, brought New Orleans authenticity to popular music while the Brits and U.S. and other musicians were borrowing heavily from other sources. (The Beatles were huge on English music hall tunes which few ever mention.) But Dr. John seemed born to his NOLA tradition, and though he was on a cane even when he was in his fifties, he kept on performing and reveling in his culture. I took to his music right away, bright lights, feathers, and that New Orleans counter-beat "thang." Irresistable. Never got to see him perform in person; shucks. RIP Dr. John.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
Sad day indeed. His album Desitively Bonnaroo inspired the name of the amazing festival we have every year in my hometown of Manchester TN. Greatly missed for sure

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I want to be walking Dr. John's second line ... that's the parade of amateur music makers and marchers that follow in the wake of the band ... in spirit anyway.

franbo

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
Grateful that Dr. Teeth’s Electric Mayhem Band led me to discover Dr. John and Voodoo Funk at a very impressionable age. ‘Can you picture that?’ Thanks Jim Henson. Thanks Dr. John. RIP both of you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I was fortunate enough to hear the good doctor perform live, twice, at the Detroit Jazz Festival. Both were excellent shows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife read or heard a Dr. John obit that had this interesting biographical detail. As a baby, he was so cherubic, his photo was used in ads for baby food, so he was famous before he was famous. He did some time on a drug charge when young, had to give up guitar for piano when he intervened in a fight and got shot in a finger. He was much valued as a story teller, and coined the term "tricktician" to describe some of his show biz effects. I think an album of his taped interviews might sell well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...when they played some Dr. John for a radio obit this morning, as I was cooking our breakfast, he got me dancing, just couldn't help it. Dr. John plays, you dance.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
That is sad news. I will put "In the Right Place" on the player tonight. And a bowl of Picayune seems appropriate.

R.I.P.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Alas, finally at the "Right place,but the wrong time". God rest, one hell of a musician lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.