PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
The event was held during a day when I had to work late, otherwise I may have attended. It's always good to see pipe smoking get some love in cigar shops; it is usually a good way to get these shops to increase their stock of pipe tobaccos and products. And if I can support a local business by buying a tin or two of Haunted Bookshop, then that is just fine by me.

I generally refrain from most YTPC content, as I've grown out of it and most of it is dreadfully boring. Dr. Harrelson's channel didn't grow on me much, but I did somewhat enjoy his earlier content before his infamous blowup. That all being said, as another poster mentioned, if one expects grace they should give it in turn, and I'd be willing to give his channel another chance if the content was interesting and edited well.

I'm happy for Chesterton's for getting that speaker. Chesterton's has been pretty good at getting interesting speakers for a variety of topics and purposes; from an Aganorsa representative doing a tasting to getting a fairly solid up-and-coming comedian, they do a good job of drawing people to their business, including folks who may not have much interest in tobacco otherwise. I've been to Chesterton's, and its lounge has some decent elbow-room in it, but 30 people would have it at capacity. Great to see a good cigar shop succeed!

As for the speaker himself, whatever his faults, his accent is not fake and neither is his degree. (If one is so inclined, it is easy to find videos of him doing presentations in academic settings, where he sounds exactly the same as he does in every single video he has produced.) He holds a doctorate in history specializing in Southern folk and bluegrass music and traditions. I'd love to hear more about such a topic from a knowledgeable source, and impromptu bluegrass sessions are also always welcome. Trying a new blend is, of course, also a nice plus.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
He was being himself, and pissed off 99% of his audience.
He got contrite and gained back 15%.
Utube money is a harsh mistress.
I still don’t like him, don’t have to, and don’t have to be polite when he’s brought up. He made the bed.
Anybody remember Rich Gottlieb?
I don’t remember him—if there’s a good story to be told, I’d love to hear it!

Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
I respect anyone who can keep a bit goin this long after their interview for Audibles ‘Gone with The Wind’ narrator. If he went to public school betcha he wouldn’t sound like that no mo. Speaking from experience as an Appalachian who moved 3 hours across state in the 6th grade to Raleigh and got royally wrecked by the class when they heard MY accent. What I really hate is everyone sounding like YouTubers or Tik-Tocklers these days, so more power to him for keeping something alive in this day, whether people take him seriously or not. It may just be an act he’s hiding behind but who the hell cares anyway, one click and he’s gone type of thing right.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Damn this Alan Harrelson fella must’ve pissed some of you guys off royally for how the feelings are flying this way and that…now I’ve gotta check him out to see what venom he’s spewing that’s got the dander up…and I love Foghorn Leghorn. 🤣 🍿 ☕

View attachment 301673

0:44 in this video is perfect!

“Now who’s, ah say who’s responsible for this unwarranted attack on my person!”

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Regardless of everything else, the few times I've watched him he's made grand pronouncements on pipes and tobacco that are just wrong. For example, you can't or shouldn't talk while smoking (without risking the pipe going out), and ghosting isn't a thing (except for deer tongue).

For those that like him, crack on, and it sounds like it was a great event. But his content is not for me.

For example, you can't or shouldn't talk while smoking (without risking the pipe going out)
I make this claim all the time. It's a really nice way of telling people to shut the F up. ha ha. JK... but, If I am really enjoying my pipe at the moment, last thing I want to do is remove the pipe to talk. This is why I don't do a lot of smoking at pipe club meetings. By their nature, pipes aren't exactly a social thing, IMO... jus my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.