PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
My eyes sparkled with anticipation only for me to be marginally disappointed when seeing the contents of this thread.

On topic: I don't like mixing up the flavors so soon one after another. If I do smoke more bowls on any given day (a rare thing in itself), I space it out.

When I started out though, I averaged around 50 bowls a month though. I mixed up everything with anything. Your format seems smarter in retaining some actual insight from the smoking. I just wanted to try everything out ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Almost every time I smoke. Although I usually burn down one, then the other and don’t alternate. And aros only make it in the mix every so often, maybe 1/5 smokes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I do something similar where I'll have three or four different pipes going with different blends. Typically a Balkan, a straight VA, a burley, and sometimes a perique. It's just something that developed overtime as a method to prevent palatte fatigue. Although I don't alternate puffs between pipes, I change pipes whenever my mouth feels the need for a contrast. It defines the flavors between blends very clearly and makes it easier to continue smoking through an entire day/evening without my tongue losing sensitivity. It also means there are a lot of half finished pipes laying on my desk and sometimes I forget what they're packed with. It becomes a game of "guess the mystery smoke"

I have toyed with smoking two pipes simultaneously just to see what happens, but found it too hard to draw consistently from both pipes at once.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I did something similar when I first started (a couple of months ago) but I smoked two half bowls back to back of a similar blend. I was trying to smoke similar blends and components to try and find the difference. Looking back I think it would have been easier to just smoke the components straight.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and CD15

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Any particular purpose, as far as what you choose to pair, if not alternating aros in?
Not really, just have a ton of new to me blends around, and I only get a chance to smoke about once a week so I usually do two or three blends each time to get through stuff faster, in case I need to find more of it before the tobaccopocalypse.

Reactions: CD15

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is what you need, You can dial back and forth between 2 bowls or smoke both simultaneously

View attachment 21088

This pig snout thing is brilliant! On one hand it looks like a gimmick, and would have some concern about how hot it would get, but on the other it looks like a smart design! Can't call it a solution because I don't see that it solves any existing problem, but still brilliant.

CD15

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2020
Louisville, KY
I do something similar where I'll have three or four different pipes going with different blends. Typically a Balkan, a straight VA, a burley, and sometimes a perique. It's just something that developed overtime as a method to prevent palatte fatigue. Although I don't alternate puffs between pipes, I change pipes whenever my mouth feels the need for a contrast. It defines the flavors between blends very clearly and makes it easier to continue smoking through an entire day/evening without my tongue losing sensitivity. It also means there are a lot of half finished pipes laying on my desk and sometimes I forget what they're packed with. It becomes a game of "guess the mystery smoke"

I have toyed with smoking two pipes simultaneously just to see what happens, but found it too hard to draw consistently from both pipes at once.

You’ve got some next level stuff going on. Expanding my thinking , logs.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I also only smoke once a week. Have 3 or 4 pipes going maybe 1/3 full. Could be an OTC, an aro, a vaper and a latakia/oriental. I switch between the pipes and often settle on the one thats hitting the spot more than the others. Its a 1 to 2 hour smoking session in the shed. It developed like this because I only smoking once a week and have so many opened tins and couldn't decide what to smoke, so chose 3 or 4 different blends and yes I like almost everything except lakeland blends -TimPiperpuffy

Status
Not open for further replies.