PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I have been thinking about trying out DE shaving. The process looks interesting and more enjoyable thank just using the electric. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a relatively inexpensive razor and blades, or maybe has one they would be willing to get rid of.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Ha, I just ordered a full wet shaving setup myself. The blades on my old electric were worn out and I figured I'd give something different a try. I havent' shaved with any type of blade in a long time, and definitely not an old style safety razor, but it seemed intersting and my electric certainly wasn't "cutting" it anymore.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
@grizzly86

this is the razor I bought through amazon it's pretty reasonable, and I like the weight on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-99R-Handle-HEAVYWEIGHT-Butterfly/dp/B003NTHWLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342724968&sr=8-2&keywords=parker+razor

The razor comes with a free sample box o 5 blades, they're okay. I prefer the Astra brand for a closer shave.
Also bought this shaving kit that is well priced:

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Mens-Luxury-Shave/dp/B004L4EING/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342725161&sr=8-2&keywords=shaving+brush+kit
I learned about the shaving techniques from this guy online also:

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy?feature=watch

Not only does he sell the razors and other accessories but he shaves with all of them so you can see the difference.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
+1 on Geofatboy. I also watched his videos.
I would recommend you get a sample pack of blades to try and find the one that works best with your beard/skin type. I found that the Red Israeli Personna blades work best for me YMMV.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hey deleon, that Van Der Hagen kit is the same one I purchased! I ended up going with one of the Merkur razors. I hope I don't slice my face up!!!! :? :wink:

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Brewshooter I like the Astra blades the most they seem to last longer for my beard. The "Feather" brand those are super sharp. Those I stay away from. Hows that Van Der Hagen kit working out for you? I love mine

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Wow, started the thread an hour ago and already a ton of information. You guys are great.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Wet shaving is actually one of the subjects I got heavily into sevearal years ago. I've pretty active on some shaving related forums as well as went as far as starting my own educational/information site that has gotten a pretty decent following of readers over the years. In the same spirit of TAD/PAD, I also have a bit of a collection of brushes and razors that I've built up. I think last time I counted I had somewhere over 80 shaving brushes, mostly Simpsons, with some Edwin Jagger, Kent, Semogue, and several others here and there.
This past year I stopped using DE's and went solely to straight razors. I've always used them off and on but I finally found that I love the traditional feel of a straight razor shave and have stuck with them pretty much every morning. I've probably used a DE a half dozen times this year.
Although my site is non-commercial, I don't want to violate any rules by posting the URL publicly. Unless a mod says it's ok. I do enjoy sharing what I've learned and helping others discover the pleasure of a good shave. Once you learn to do it right, you'll never go back to those crappy electrics again :)

wonky

Lurker
Nov 26, 2011
Columbia, MO
haha, I LOVE feather blades. Just goes to show you, to each their own. Definitely get a sample pack of blades. Personna Reds are nice too, not nearly as brutal as a Feather can be if you get in a hurry.
Good luck with the switch. It takes a little practice, but well worth it. I have only been using a DE razor for 8 months now, and will never go back to cartridges. If i switch it will bo to straight, maybe... but not till my 3 year old is older an not as bouncy in the bathroom

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I switched back to a DE when I ran out of cartridges for my ancient Wilkinson. I got a new razor - my old DE had long since disappeared - and a bunch of Wilkinson blades from Razors Direct

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Mine is a Lord I got on Amazon and I buy drug store blades at $2.50 per 10. It get the job done and I actually get a decent shave with the mega cheapie blades once I adapted my methods to the equipment.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I was just over at msandoval858's site and I have to say there is a ton of information. If anyone else is interested it is shaving101. I think this is OK because I have no affiliation with the site other than having visited it. A mod can delete if it isn't.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Link doesn't seem to work, but a search for the site found it with no problem. It looks good, I'm going to have to check it out. I’ve been watching Mantic59’s videos on YouTube the last few days to learn some basics.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
How weird! I just started using a DE razor as well. I ordered a couple of super clean Gillettes off of Ebay and picked up the Van Der Hagen kit with a badger brush. It is a really nice way for me to unwind as I shower in the evening and shave after (I beard doesn't grow fast enough for 5 O' clock shadow) and it just feels better. Mantic59's videos are EXTERMELY helpful seems like a real nice dude.
I'm using a 1969 Gillette Speed Adjustable with the black handle. I also have a 1959 Super Speed flare tip, but I found that I like the black handled one much better so I have relegated that to being a travel razor.
My face is pretty sensitive and so I've tried not to be too aggressive, but I find that if I do get some irritation that the Gold Bond ultimate lotion seems to work really well to tame it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the Van Der Hagen kit is a good kit.. you will also want to pickup a pint of witch hazel from your local grocery s/b be about $1.25 and a septic stick about a $1.00. This razor at $20 is a good starter.
razor

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
Feather are the best I have tried as they are the sharpest. I would try something else first until you get the hang of it because they give you little room for error. Everyone's skin and hair is different so you really have to experiment a bit.
I also use Proraso shave soap and Thayers witch hazel for afterward.
It is a great, cheap, and relaxing ritual to start. I shaved this morning around 6:30 AM and, using the triple pass method, my face is still smooth at 10PM.
My biggest peice of advice is to hold that razor as lightly as you can...if you press down like you have to do with modern razors you will have a bad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.