PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
The newer Drew Estates Tsuge pipes use tobacco in the base as kind of absorbent filter. Kind of like where the little pipe cleaner ring is on a falcon. As I was cleaning out my Peterson the other day, and dumping out the unsmoked dottle from the bottom that used to be some very nice Virginia flake, I was wondering about intentionally placing a cheaper and maybe even dryer tobacco at the bottom of a bowl to be used intentionally as an absorbent filter. Has anyone tried this? Does it change the flavor of the main tobacco much? Are there particularly cheap, absorbent and neutrally flavored tobaccos that you would recommend?

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
The tobacco below is always filtering the tobacco above. I am curious as to how well the Drew estates pipes achieve this. I just don't know anyone willing to try one for $275.
Also tobacco is cheap (enough) that filling a bowl to the top with the intention of dumping the bottom half seems reasonable. Most reviews talk about the the top third, the middle and the bottom and people may have preferences. Of course to get to the bottom you have to go through the middle but you always have a top!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whether a typo or not, it tickled my fancy:
I don't produce any dottle. When I finish my pipe, it is all white ass.
If one's tobacco is on the dry side, there's little or no dottle to contend with.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
If one's tobacco is on the dry side, there's little or no dottle to contend with.
This is any tobacco. Sometimes, the moist content might be quite high, but I always let the tin open to have a breather before I pack my pipe with it. This is not to say I let my tobacco dry out completely, but I think this helps.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
When I was paying top dollar for pipe tobacco I would use 4 aces mild as a kind of filter like you describe. It worked quite well actually, the bottom of the bowl would be alot milder but with the taste of the original pipe tobacco I was smoking.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If I'm smoking a tobacco that has become a bit crumbly or has a lot of "shake", I bed the bottom of the bowl with a pinch of Carter Hall. It helps keep small bits from being sucked into the airway.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I knew I couldn't be the first person to think of this and that you guys would have some interesting insight. I hadn't thought of is a way to filter out the little bits that could be sucked up the draft hole too. I suppose that cost isn't really a huge factor, but this might just be another variant to try, like different packing methods, different ways of preparing flakes, etc. Seems like if you're going to do this, a codger burley is the way to go.
And yeah, those Drew Estate pipes look interesting, but they're awful pricy for not really knowing how well they'll work. Also, very bowl heavy. I can't imagine trying to smoke one as a clencher.

Status
Not open for further replies.