PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
How realistic is it, are we in near or in distant future not going to be able to buy tobacco online? Will the prize raise? What about the taxes?
How much do you spend on tobacco every month?
Im new to pipesmoking, Ive tried almost every baccy suggested to me here, and I feel im circling in some types I do like better than others. I typical order for me was 1 oz of 19 blends etc. But now im gonna start to stock up. In a couple of months Im gonna try to grow my own pipe tobacco, that will be interesting.
But, what are the general idea about tobacco among politicians in the states? Do we have a though time ahead?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Since tobacco is one's national defense against stress, boredom, and doldrums one should spend accordingly.
So, 20% of your GDP or so should go to tobacco.
:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking is far and away the least expensive way to smoke tobacco, so the price and tax on pipe tobacco

is hedged to a degree by getting a lot of smoking out of relatively little tobacco. If you are moderate in your

smoking, using less tobacco, this is another hedge. However, will we always enjoy the impressive variety of

blends at relatively reasonable prices available online? That less likely to remain the same, but it is possible.

I think the relatively small cohort of pipe smokers helps. We're a small target, and the health effects are less

firmly established. I choose not to mix the pleasure of pipe smoking with the high anxiety of seeing it under

continue and certain peril, but maybe these are rose-colored glasses. If my only source of tobacco was old

black market Half-and-Half, that might be interesting in its own way, but I hope it won't come to that.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
There is always an impending doom that come sin waves around these parts. Usually it turns out to be nothing more than hysteria and the worst ends up being another minimal tax increase. Taxes always increase, when do they ever decrease? Things may let up a bit for now with Republicans gaining majority in Congress and in many state legislatures. They have a better track record of not increasing taxes, though the sin tax isn't entirely safe from either party.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I work in the tobacco industry.I witnessed the 2009 FET tax increase by the feds on cigarettes and OTP, as well as the constantly increasing OTP taxes charged by each state. OTP continues to grow. For our niche in the tobacco market, I don't really care about taxes. What really worries me as a pipe smoker personally is the fact that online sales may be banned in the future. We already are such a small segment of the smoking population that tobacconists rarely cater to us (I personally would not either...we buy a $15.00 tin and it may be weeks until your average moderate pipe smoker comes back for more...a cigar smoker on the other hand...)
One could argue that if internet sales are outlawed, tobacconists would carry more pipe tobacco to fulfill the demand. But, we are rare and do not fit into the average B&M's bottom line. There are exceptions based on locale. The average B&M would still not care about quality real pipe tobacco due to the fact we are a rare bird.
Personally: I do not want to have to worry about banned internet sales. I have been smoking a pipe for 16 years and have found my 5 favorite tobaccos. I am stocking up on them because, yes...I do not want to face a situation where I cannot get my favorite blends.
My recommendation to a new smoker would be to buy as many sampler packs as you can, and choose your favorites and cellar deep.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Where I am, dipping tobacco is very and has been very popular as long as I have been alive. With some kind of peek now in the past few years, with aromatic taste
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>a

s.

I started to use this when i was 16 and Im now 35. When I bought my first tin I payed 1,5 dollars, that was tax-free on a boat. Market price on land was then 3,5 dollars if my memory serves me right. Today I make my own, but If I buy it a store then it will be 13 dollars cause they allmost doubled the tax one year.
They have forbidden introduction of new dip-tobacco blends, anyhow, how expensive it is with sigarettes or dip or any tobacco. People dont quit or dont start, they just pay more.
I dont want to see the internet shops closing, cause I have over a hour train ride from my closest B&M. Dip and sigarettes are nicotin containers, pipe-smoking is much more than that

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Pipe smoking is far and away the least expensive way to smoke tobacco

LOL! I'll try this on my wife.

But, what are the general idea about tobacco among politicians in the states? Do we have a though time ahead

I've been saying this for years, the tough time will come from your employer or insurance provider. 8O

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been putting away pipe tobacco since 1989 or so. I never spent money I didn't have or needed for other things. I worry more about blends I enjoy going away than I do about huge price increases but, tin prices have more than doubled or maybe tripled since I began buying pipe tobacco. I feel much less stress knowing that whatever may come along, I have enough tobacco to get me through it.
Mike S.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hate to break it to ya, but doomsday has hit everywhere but the USA. Places like Australia and Canada are already paying close to $26 per ounce.
Speaking only for Canada, they have made online cigarette sales 100% illegal, any online tobaccos sales 100% illegal if crossing provincial boarders and are leading the charge with anti-smoking propaganda. Fortunately, they seem to be okay with ordering tobacco from other countries tho :crazy:
Here is the biggest kicker for me. My province forbids anyone for possessing more than 1000 grams (give of take 4 pound's) of tobacco without a tobacco retailer licence. This is just Alberta and does not apply to all of Canada, so Peck is safe. But this law makes many of these cellars, many of you are so proud of, illegal.
So keep in mind that a stockpile of tobacco could be looked at as against the law. So building a large cellar, though practical, may make you a criminal. Just some food for thought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be surprised if state (or other) laws were passed against possession of pipe tobacco. That would involve big

turn-in programs and confiscation, and many of the perps would be old geezers on walkers and such, which would

not, not be the kind of perp walk law enforcement and their supervising politicians savor. With grandpa doing

two to five for possession of three pounds of Nightcap. If I were a police commissioner, I'd rather just go straight

to hell first.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Why can't people just leave us the fuck alone? I want to smoke a pipe while digesting a 1/2 lb Cheeseburger with 8 strips of bacon on it and a supersized curly fries with cheese and chili if I want to... In my own damn house, sitting in my man cave with 20+ lb of Tobacco in the cellar.
Let my people go~

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Who knows what will happen but the winds are blowing against all tobacco. I moved from cigars to pipes as 1.) it is cheaper and 2.) cigars were getting boring and pipe tobacco has more variety in blends and taste's. I don't live near any B&M's so the interent is my store. I can get mostly what I want and when I want. I am leaving nothing to chance and cellaring a great variety and lots of fav's. I have 80 lbs. so far and will finish up at around 100 lbs when done and I retire in 05/2016. So I will avoid price and tax increases in the future, have a black market supply of tobacco and I will be able to buy pipes for pennies on the dollar if things get to bad. 50 $300.00-600.00 artisan pipes mean nothing if you have nothing to smoke in them.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Prices will probably keep rising, but dramatic government-induced price rises are harder to predict. The intensity of the US war on tobacco will vary not only by the outcome of federal elections but state and local elections. What I fear most in the near term is that this anxiety over the future of pipe tobacco will lead to panic buying that drives up prices. Quite a lot of the talk around here has me thinking pipe tobacco will be the next .22 Long Rifle. That thought causes me more fear at the moment than government policy trends.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Let my people go~
Say it loud, say it proud and vote appropriately.
One thing is certain: Unless there is a sea change in the way the citizenry views freedom and self-determination, and until we take back our rightful place in control of government, things will continue to erode at an exponential pace.
In other words: We're screwed.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Will the prize raise? What about the taxes?

Well, you can be guaranteed that the price of tobacco will never go down...

My province forbids anyone for possessing more than 1000 grams (give of take 4 pound's) of tobacco without a tobacco retailer licence. This is just Alberta
For what it's worth, Manitoba is the same...possession of 5 units (200gr/unit = 1000gr) is illegal unless you are a collector (as in tax & duty collector) or a retailer. I guess that's where they decided the legal cut off between consumer and illegal purveyor of tobacco products was. I wouldn't be surprised if most provinces had limits like this.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I am a bit of a "prepper" i say buy and store what you can. No limit in the u.s. as far as i know. It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got about 30lbs put back so far, but that has more to do with being a shopaholic than doomsday prepping.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Thank goodness for no Ex Post Facto laws. Or you can't pass a law that criminalizes something and then prosecute based on things that happened before the law was passed. In other words horde now.

Status
Not open for further replies.