PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Didn't sleep last night. Not sure if it was nerve pain or arthritis. Too much bother. So, put out some tobacco to dry out and try to do some chess puzzle. Promptly fell asleep. Got up 5 hours later. Tobacco's all dust. Thought about smoking it, but why bother. I know I won't like it. Maybe tomorrow. It's 97 degrees outside and I'm not that desperate.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It depends on the tobacco. I leave a flake of Mac Baren Bold Kentucky out almost every night. In the morning I can crumble it up to near dust and it smokes great and taste great, without the 5 or 10 relights. Other tobaccos maybe not such a good process. I find that Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth blends benefit from this same unceremonious brute force technique.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
bullet, you must live where it is really low humidity. I can leave tobacco in a drying bowl for a week (central North Carolina) and it's fine to smoke, sometimes not even crunchy. As they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.
That's very true. It's actually pretty humid in the evenings here, but in the morning I put the little bowl I put it in into direct sunlight. Not long after that it's perfect. Your'e right it does depend on your local climate.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
bullet, you must live where it is really low humidity. I can leave tobacco in a drying bowl for a week (central North Carolina) and it's fine to smoke, sometimes not even crunchy. As they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.
I'm in RTP area. With weather here, I can't tell what's what. Lately, there's been mildly dry weather. But there's AC going in the house. Tobacco dries pretty reasonably.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Everytime I smoke the dust, I get harsh smoke. I know, dried the better. For me, there's a point of no return.
Meh, maybe I'm not competent enough to smoke fresh tobacco. A wet sopping ball of goo the size of a marble is usually what's left. If I don't dry it enough, I don't bother smoking it at all. Sometimes with my Carter hall, that can take weeks to months for it to dry properly. I have to transfer about 8 oz of Carter hall into a jar I leave on my pipe stand. There's no working seal on the jar, so It can dry out properly for me.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Didn't sleep last night. Not sure if it was nerve pain or arthritis. Too much bother. So, put out some tobacco to dry out and try to do some chess puzzle. Promptly fell asleep. Got up 5 hours later. Tobacco's all dust. Thought about smoking it, but why bother. I know I won't like it. Maybe tomorrow. It's 97 degrees outside and I'm not that desperate.
I suppose the bright side is you did fall back asleep and that is way better than a bowl of tobacco

Reactions: 8ball and bullet08

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Dry is my favored presentation. Used to be a concern, to the point (back in the 90's) where I'd leave a humidification button in the jar. But through experience, determined what is best for me. Now I'll open a can or a pouch and let nature take over. If it's dry it's good...if it's moist, I'll dry.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Meh, maybe I'm not competent enough to smoke fresh tobacco. A wet sopping ball of goo the size of a marble is usually what's left. If I don't dry it enough, I don't bother smoking it at all. Sometimes with my Carter hall, that can take weeks to months for it to dry properly. I have to transfer about 8 oz of Carter hall into a jar I leave on my pipe stand. There's no working seal on the jar, so It can dry out properly for me.
I suspect the problem is not the water in the tobacco but the casing (liquid goop they put in for flavor). The water evaporates quickly, but the casing is oil based and you have to wait for it to break down because of exposure to the oxygen in the air. This can take a while. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
smoke it. Sounds to me like it's hit the ideal point. Just go slower then seems possible.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Everytime I smoke the dust, I get harsh smoke. I know, dried the better. For me, there's a point of no return.
Since I smoke Virginias and their variants almost exclusively, dry offers me better flavors. But there’s a difference between dry and dried out. My best smokes are when the tobaccos are just shy of bone dry.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I'm in RTP area. With weather here, I can't tell what's what. Lately, there's been mildly dry weather. But there's AC going in the house. Tobacco dries pretty reasonably.
I'm nearby and I'm sure if I left it outside it'd be fine but just like you the house's AC will turn rubbed out tobacco to kindling if it's left for more than a few hours.

Reactions: bullet08