PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I received a sizable order today from smokingpipes.com and set about to jarring vast quantities of tobacco. One word of caution: if you employ the short stoveing technique I've espoused here in the forum (heating the jars to around 205'F in the oven before lidding), make sure you don't spill tobacco all over the oven. Make especially sure that the tobacco you spill is not the Summertime 2011 blend you've been whittling your fingernails in anticipation of for months. :crying: Alas, I totally toasted a good bowl's worth, but was able to rescue the bulk of it for normal combustion purposes. First impression: delightful, but not the magic carpet ride that Christmas 2010 was.

I also had an idea for how to employ the beautifully executed tins for these special seasonal blends: time capsules. I'm packing little trinkets and whatsits of my life at this time into them, perhaps some handwritten notes, little things to put time and place together, and think I'll pack them away for a while at the bottom of the cellar. Maybe they'll make a gift, or at least a chuckle of memory, when they're reopened at some later date.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I dont think you put the tobacco in the jars and heat them. I think you just heat the jars by themselves.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm not really stoveing them, this is just a cellaring protocol--boil the jars, dry them in the oven, load up the tobacco, place them back in the oven (*without spilling) for a few minutes and then lid them. It's worked wonderfully for me so far, I'm beginning to open up year-old jars now and they're fresh as a daisy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Winton: don't share this with the wife. I'm constantly in dutch with my wife for getting tobacco all over my kitchen-area desk/tobacco storage shelf. There is no way she is letting me near her oven with tobacco. I generally only spill enough to let her know I'm still around....

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Are you using canning jars? Ive never heard of doing this...suprisingly enough as a new guy to this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.