PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
I love Latakia blends but make it a point to switch to Virginia's (Amphora Virginia), Burley's (Lane Limited) and my other codger blends (Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Carter Hall) once in awhile for a break.

Reactions: danimalia
I went through a period where I couldn't stand latakia. Then, I started working it back in, with blends that only have a dash of it. Now, it is more of a seasonal thing for me. I would have thought it would have been the cold of winter that draws me to it, but with our Winter being in the 70ish's, I think it may just be the shorts days or maybe just seeing the trees without leaves... But, I do know for sure that during a hot day in the summer sun, I am not interested in latakia at all.
Everyone is different. Enjoy what you like and like what you enjoy.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
For me, Latakia is a very mood driven taste. meaning i have to be in the mood for it. I still enjoy it regularly in varying doses, but I've found that as my taste and tasting ability has progressed and developed, it tends to be overwhelming unless used with a conservative hand. I never find myself reaching for a Lat heavy blend when I'm not specifically wanting it, like when I reach for a VA/VaPer or a Burley for a non-specific, comfortable, reliable smoke. Latakia makes me want it and only it, but only when I am in that particular mood.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
AWhat would one be?

You’ve tried Pease and still not enthusiastic about Latakia. I mean, you tried the best Latakia blender in the world, The Dark Lord! Give it a rest for a few weeks or months. Come back to it. I find Latakia smokes the best when outside in cold weather. 30 to 50 degrees preferably. (I know, to some that’s not cold?)

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks for this post, and all the replies! I'm currently going through a similar issue.

Recently I very suddenly went from enjoying nothing but latakia blends, to not being able to finish one bowl of them. My tastes moved on to VA and VaPers. Latakia just tastes "off" to me now and I don't want it anywhere near my pipes.

Problem is I have a sizable stash of latakia forward tins and jars. Should I unload them all or sit on them just in case my latakia cravings come back?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Problem with GL Pease is it’s made by C&D.

another suggestion is to try a good product with Latakia in it..... ?

Problem could be attempting to get a decent smoke out of a Peterson pipe.

Another suggestion is to try smoking it in something other than a turd.... ?

Damn, this is compelling content hahau

For the record, I enjoy many C&D made blends, including their sometimes-maligned VAs. Also, I love my one Peterson and wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Reactions: whsergent

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Damn, this is compelling content hahau

My comment was a satirical response to the act of condemning an entire brand based on subjective personal preferences. I found the statement to be particularly ridiculous within the context of a guy who does not like latakia harshly criticizing an entire lineup of well loved latakia blends, blends which are considered by many to be the magnum opus of the world famous Dark Lord of Latakia. I don't wear dresses and don't know shit about them, so I would never tell dress wearing aficionados that their favorites suck and which ones they should wear.

It all good with me though. Commenting on pipes and tobacco is what we do here. There are certainly no hard feelings on my part. I guess I just felt feisty enough to fire one back this time. I hope nobody took it personally or seriously. For the record, I personally like latakia, C&D tobaccos, and Peterson pipes. :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
well I can't imagine that the other ingredients in C&D Latakia tobaccos are magically better than in their other products.

That was where I was coming from.. I haven't found a C&D product worth stomaching or making excuses for unaged/poor quality tobacco. I also would rather smoke goop from 100 year old machines in the UK than floor sweepings of the South.

although their Chairwheel blend I've heard is good.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Back in the days, when I did smoke pipe only on occasion Latakia containing blends was all that I smoked then. Dunhill Standard Mixture and Squadron Leader by S&H were my very favorite, but as for today,I hardly touch any blend containing latakia be it Syrian or Cyprian, granted, can't deny English mixtures are generally cool burning and smooth, but today it seems like Kentucky Dark Fried as condiment leaf suits my pallet better , being less campfire smokey

Reactions: wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
well I can't imagine that the other ingredients in C&D Latakia tobaccos are magically better than in their other products.

That was where I was coming from.. I haven't found a C&D product worth stomaching or making excuses for unaged/poor quality tobacco. I also would rather smoke goop from 100 year old machines in the UK than floor sweepings of the South.

although their Chairwheel blend I've heard is good.

Sorry Bro. Your entire dress collection sucks. I suggest trying one on worth stomaching sometime.

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I too have similar feelings. Though Latakia tastes good to me, it doesn't make my mouth feel good. There's a certain rawness that I notice at the top of my throat and sometimes along my gums whenever I smoke a blend with it. It's not a bite like with Virginia and I don't experience this sensation with burley blends, even the stronger ones. So, I only enjoy English blends on rare occasions.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Thanks for this post, and all the replies! I'm currently going through a similar issue.

Recently I very suddenly went from enjoying nothing but latakia blends, to not being able to finish one bowl of them. My tastes moved on to VA and VaPers. Latakia just tastes "off" to me now and I don't want it anywhere near my pipes.

Problem is I have a sizable stash of latakia forward tins and jars. Should I unload them all or sit on them just in case my latakia cravings come back?
Don't risk it. Send them to me! Good home. I promise!:)

• Haha
Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Watch City makes a really interesting crumble cake called Nor’easter. It contains Latakia, Cavendish, Burley, and Orientals, maybe Virginia as well I can’t recall. I’ve never had anything like it. Almost like an aromatic, but without the cheap perfumes. I am definitely not a fan of Latakia, but this stuff smokes like a dream. Highly recommended.

(And their Old Dominion might be the best vaper I have ever had.)

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.