PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Domengo is a very cool looking pipe, and you have good cause to feel satisfaction, friend.

I'm am going to ask that you, for a moment, set aside your pride and consider what @georged is saying. The "billiard" is a shape that must display certain specs in order to warrant that name. Is this criticism? Yes, but it can be constructive if you allow it. In reality, you are the recipient of a gift; a skilled and experienced craftsman has commented on your work, and offered guidance. And that's a generous offering. I'm hoping you'll see it that way.
Sorry I can’t see any guidance of an experienced craftsman. He’s shouting out dogmas. It’s the way he does his lectures on the op that aren’t constructive at all.
Actually I think George was not only entirely right on the facts but temperate in his comments. What you’re selectively leaving out is the OP’s attitude. Smug pretension combined with willful denial and an appetite for argument will always draw adverse remarks.

In the heat of debate moderation is difficult. Even now, for example, I’m resisting the urge to make Alan Ginsberg jokes in response to your repetition of the word holy.

Hope this helps™
Actually I thought of Robert Franks film Pull my Daisy Ginsbergs poetry included.

• Wow
Reactions: jbfrady

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Sorry I can’t see any guidance of an experienced craftsman. He’s shouting out dogmas

Actually I thought of Robert Franks film Pull my Daisy Ginsbergs poetry included.
Hey, you just said George isn’t experienced.
Why are you here?

Reactions: grimpeur
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I will add that @georged offered constructive criticism, something that any artist willing to learn should welcome.
My only issue with his post, which was my response, was he took a step further by offering a not perfect example as a perfect example.

The critique was fine. The following example made the whole thing fall apart, for me. It’s like an internet English major correcting someone’s faults while presenting a neer perfect example as perfect example.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The smart guys who know what a billiard is have all dropped out, but I’m in for the pig wrestling.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My only issue with his post, which was my response, was he took a step further by offering a not perfect example as a perfect example.

The critique was fine. The following example made the whole thing fall apart, for me. It’s like an internet English major correcting someone’s faults while presenting a neer perfect example as perfect example.

I suspect the correct single oval required to match each of the curves of that horn pipe would’ve made the image impractically large for a compact diagram; I can forgive his use of multiple ovals in this instance—his point still comes across as intended, if not exactly literal.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I understand where you're coming from and I always appreciate your comments. However, criticism is not guidance when it is neither sought out nor helpful. If my goal wasn't to make a perfectly boring billiard, then attempting to guide me down the path of convention is precisely the opposite of guidance.

Imagine you're repainting your house and an interior designer comes in and tells you which colors should not be used, and which should. They'll offer you their suggestionsbased on their experience. And who knows? For people who want a homogeneous interior of a home that looks just like every other home in modern suburbia, listening to an interior designer is probably a great choice. But if that's not what you want, then listening to their advice would be a waste of time, money, and energy.

I know what a billiard is "supposed to" look like. But as I said in the write-up, I'm not looking to contribute yet another billiard to the fold unless it's my own design. I made the pipe that I saw in their eyes: my impression. If anything, the lesson I'm being taught here is that I should call all of my pipes billiards from here on.
The shape you made are generally called "Free hand" pipes.
I believe you are missing the point.
If you give me $120,000 for my Ferrari, but when you come to get it, its a Ford Focus, would it be ok?
It should, ive always called this car my Ferrari.......because its red. :)

Reactions: jpberg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, my.

Go to bed, eat breakfast (I'm a night owl), switch on the ol' IMac, and the damn thing practically explodes.

rotf

I'm thrilled to be called a boar, however. I always thought I was medium-ugly. Now I know that at least somebody thinks I'm good lookin'. (even if it's a he, and he's on the other side of the Atlantic)

Screen Shot 2024-06-01 at 2.49.02 PM.png

As for Mr. Fireground being bummed that the horn pipe example wasn't perfect because multiple blended curves were necessary to "map" it, that's not how it works.

As long as there are no kinks, flat spots, or blurred edges, and the design flows pleasantly to the eye, the number of curves "used" doesn't matter.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You misunderstood, of course he is an excellent expert, he proved it in many of his how to videos, but in this thread he is not of real guidance. As I said the tone makes the music. As skilful he might be, I wouldn’t choose that man as a teacher.
No. I’m not buying it. Or potentially I’m missing a nuance.
What I’m getting now is, if George would’ve phrased things better, his example would’ve been more valuable.
We’re talking about a pipe that is not a billiard, there’s only so many ways to discuss that. Or so I thought.

Reactions: yanoJL

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Oh, my.

Go to bed, eat breakfast (I'm a night owl), switch on the ol' IMac, and the damn thing practically explodes.

rotf

I'm thrilled to be called a boar, however. I always thought I was medium-ugly. Now I know that at least somebody thinks I'm good lookin'. (even if it's a he, and he's on the other side of the Atlantic)

View attachment 314415

As for Mr. Fireground being bummed that the horn pipe example wasn't perfect because multiple blended curves were necessary to "map" it, that's not how it works.

As long as there are no kinks, flat spots, or blurred edges, and the design flows pleasantly to the eye, the number of curves "used" doesn't matter.
That is probably the first time you’ve got a like from me because at least I detected a sort of humour. Greetings from „he“ on the other side of the Atlantic.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Oh, my.

rotf

View attachment 314415

Again, we all have our tolerances and excuses. Something is perfect or it is not perfect.

Pleasing to the eye is not technical perfection, which is the discussion here.

Reactions: jbfrady

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Pleasing to the eye is not technical perfection, which is the discussion here.

At the highest levels, "pleasing flow" indeed requires technical perfection.

It's why the top Danish and Japanese carvers spend weeks fine-tuning their work.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I somehow feel the need to opine.

If that’s a billiard, I’m a a speckled grouse.

It’s a pipe. Just call it a freehand, take the offered advice and name it something else.

Other than that, I don’t think you know, whimsy or not, the traditional meaning of billiard.

Status
Not open for further replies.