PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Meet Domengo. This isn’t the first pipe I’ve carved, but it’s my first billiard. Domengo is an intentional misspelling of the Spanish word for Sunday, and this pipe was crafted in the spirit of a conversation I had with a few fellas named Chad, Bobby, Cayman, and Nathan on the Sunday night of the Las Vegas Pipe Show this past October.

As a new carver who stumbled into this near-cultist pipe world wholly by accident, Vegas was an eye-opening experience for me. Quite frankly, sometimes it was infuriating. Oftentimes, for me personally, the infuriating moments surrounded the shape of the billiard.

I was unaware of a saying in the pipe community and I don’t believe it would be erroneous to call it dogma: You’re not a pipe maker if you can’t make a billiard. If I heard it once I heard it a hundred times. The problem was: I didn’t want to make a billiard. I’ve owned billiards and I’ve liked them just fine, but the shape never drew me in. It never compelled me – as a hobbyist who wields knives and chisels rather than chucks and cutting tools, I found the shape uninspiring. The thought of *having* to make one was sickening.

Sunday night, my mind was swayed a little. In that room, these guys wanted to know what I thought and how I felt about the experience because while this whole ordeal was new to me, they were seeing a trend of new pipe makers stepping back out of this niche world they cherished and they hoped I wouldn’t do the same. I found this very moving and while I can’t recall my exact words, it was something along the lines of, “I just don’t want to make a fucking billiard.”

At first, they tried to reason with me, explaining why the shape was important to the modern era, that the construction of the billiard offers perfect functionality and they often comprise the best smoking pipes in any given collection, and continued along such a vein. The problem was: I wasn’t looking to commit genocide against billiards. I didn’t understand why I needed to chip in yet another billiard to the hundreds already available on any show floor. Beyond that, I wouldn’t want to offer a dispassionately made billiard alongside the one that was loved at every step of the process. I’d feel like a fraud.

What swayed me wasn’t their argument, but their passion. When selling me on the idea didn’t work, they pulled out billiard after billiard, explaining what drew each to his chosen collectible and giving me the reasons for the purchase. As an artist, I crave that passion for my works. And here they were displaying the exact emotion I sought… but for billiards.

While their passions were to sway me, but such effects take time. In that moment, I told them I’d never make a billiard simply out of principal. In truth, I wasn’t back for a week before I began chipping away at a god-forsaken billiard. It took me quite some time because, truth be told, my passion waned quite often, but for every time I set it aside, I returned and kept working.

I must’ve stained Domengo at least twelve times before deciding on this color mix. Not knowing how to give him a stem to match his personality, I found myself inspired by some peculiar little mushrooms, so I’m calling this a morel stem. I’ve sanded so many times that even though it may appear to be a perfect platform, Domengo likes to wobble, but I don’t mind.

Lest anyone ask, Domengo isn’t for sale. Not only because I'm smoking Capstan in Domengo right now, but because this pipe exists as a symbol - an emblem - that maybe I’m meant to ponder. Can I make a billiard? Yes. Did I really need to prove that to anyone other than myself? Hard to say. Probably not.

IMG_2141.jpeg
IMG_2142.jpeg
IMG_2143.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg
IMG_2146.jpeg

(photos by @Ash Cooper)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Can I make a billiard? Yes.

No, actually.

Besides the bowl shape itself being an apple, it lacks the requisite 5-7 degree forward tilt. (Yours is 90 degrees upright.)

Unrelated-to-shape detail --- It's highly recommended that you shape the stem and stummel while they're connected, not separately. Shaping them separately (unless absolutely required, as in some kinds of stem replacement repair work) results in all manner of alignment and leveling problems.

Did I really need to prove that to anyone other than myself? Hard to say. Probably not.

But since you didn't, the question remains open. ;)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Billiard it a very tricky thing to make if you're going to do it right. This case where you have to make a billiard rather than your take on a billiard. We had 50 some entries in a contest to make a billiard and only four carvers heeded our instructions. The carvers had months of notice on this. Read the instructions on making a billiard.

Reactions: jbfrady

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Buuuuuut, thats not a Billiard. :)
There is a thing in culinary school that MANY students laugh at, but many fail.
Its simply to cook eggs 6 different ways using proper technique.
This is after 2 years of training, in their last week of school.
The students can make 37 perfect French sauces and have perfected incredibly complicated techniques and recipes.
But, about 70% in the classes fail the egg test.
Its not if you can poach an egg, its if you can poach the PERFECT egg.
One of the legendary Danish pipe carvers wrote an article about making a Billiard. How it took him years to get it "right" and it was the most difficult shape to perfect. Ill look for the article, it was many years ago.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hmm... and here I thought it would've been obvious from the essay that I wasn't intending to conform to platonic ideals...

Then what was the point of calling it a billiard?

If you actually meant inspired by a billiard, why go on at length about having broken down, surrendered to the pressure of the "near cultists", and finally made "a fucking billiard"?

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Then what was the point of calling it a billiard?

If you actually meant inspired by a billiard, why go on at length about having broken down, surrendered to the pressure of the "near cultists", and finally made "a fucking billiard"?
That's your problem, not mine. Van Gogh called it Starry Night even though he knew he wasn't rendering the stars as one might view them in a photo.

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
No, actually.

Besides the bowl shape itself being an apple, it lacks the requisite 5-7 degree forward tilt. (Yours is 90 degrees upright.)

Unrelated-to-shape detail --- It's highly recommended that you shape the stem and stummel while they're connected, not separately. Shaping them separately (unless absolutely required, as in some kinds of stem replacement repair work) results in all manner of alignment and leveling problems.

But since you didn't, the question remains open. ;)
Is the forward tilt typically parallel with the rear and front of the bowl? Or are there different angles/degrees with the front not matching the rear when tilted forward? I appreciate your attention to detail.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like the bowl shaping. It's a lot of fun, imaginative, and nicely executed.

A billiard it is not. The thing about the billiard shape within the pipe carving trade, is that it's the only shape in the canon that professional carvers view as a proof of skill because of its rigorous tolerances and simplicity. There's nowhere to hide if a carver can't execute it. There are several types of billiards, all with rigorous shape tolerances.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As kcghost mentioned, the billiard was the required shape at the world's largest pipe carving contest at a pipe show ten years ago.

Entries came from a number of non-US countries, and the experience level ran from determined amateurs to some of the PipeWorld's most recognizable names.

The goal of the entrants was to be one of seven winners, btw, so that the pipes would comprise a full-week set (a custom rack made by a famous woodworker was part of the deal).

The funny-not-funny result was with over fifty entries, only four were true billiards (with a fifth that was shaped correctly but didn't qualify for technical execution reasons). The remaining three were only close.

The third (guest) judge that year was Adam Davidson, who came away from the experience (judging took five hours and was done in a separate, private room) swearing he would never do it again because of how stupid-hard it was to weigh the importance of strengths and weaknesses in a competitive way... but his future production would be better for having had the experience.

WHY is it such a perfect skill-measuring shape? For the same reason only a perfect circle is a true circle, and there is only one straight line... being off only a tiny bit is instantly obvious.

As you might imagine, pro carvers have long discussed the billiard:

Here's something fairly recent and easily clickable:

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
PS to explain this previous comment:

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.03.56 PM.png

Why execution mattered was because the contest was not simply a DESIGN contest. Otherwise, drawings alone would be enough.

The carvers had to prove they could bring their vision to life in 3D.

Here are some examples of the type of errors that counted as flaws, using the subject of this thread as an example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uneven shank taper (in this case "bloat" near the center).

Also, uneven rim width (in this case, at the intersection of panels there are peaks/wide areas).

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.21.15 PM.png

Uneven shank / stem transition, and/or "rolled edge(s) of either the stem or shank.

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.23.36 PM.png

Curves that have "kinks" or other breaks in their flow.

(Pic follows of a horn-style pipe where every line has perfect flow, to illustrate the concept.)

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.35.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.38.04 PM.png

Axial alignment of the shank and stem out of whack. (The stem looks to join the stummel angled both downward and to one side, here.)

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 11.44.57 PM.png

Another thing that would have gotten this entry dinged would be the overall thinness of the rim edge.

When a rim is that narrow, it burns. Full stop. Briar has a lower limit, and it's been exceeded here.

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
@georged this isn't your pipe, nor will you ever see it or own it. That you think I need your repeated unanswered stream of regurgitated dogma after I've already made clear both in the essay and in the comments that I'm not looking to confirm to such dogma merely shows that you either have a dangerously overinflated sense of ego or that you can't read.

Reactions: UB 40 and Auxsender

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
@georged this isn't your pipe, nor will you ever see it or own it. That you think I need your repeated unanswered stream of regurgitated dogma after I've already made clear both in the essay and in the comments that I'm not looking to confirm to such dogma merely shows that you either have a dangerously overinflated sense of ego or that you can't read.
Domengo is a very cool looking pipe, and you have good cause to feel satisfaction, friend.

I'm am going to ask that you, for a moment, set aside your pride and consider what @georged is saying. The "billiard" is a shape that must display certain specs in order to warrant that name. Is this criticism? Yes, but it can be constructive if you allow it. In reality, you are the recipient of a gift; a skilled and experienced craftsman has commented on your work, and offered guidance. And that's a generous offering. I'm hoping you'll see it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.