PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I usually smoke my pipe in the basement where I've got my stuff setup on a poker table and I've got my baccy stored in some bookshelves. I don't usually let my dogs in the basement so it's pretty rare they see me smoking a pipe except when out walking on nicer days. I figured they never notice the pipe.
Well yesterday I was in the basement cleaning up my pipe area and smoking some aged Anni Kake when I heard the oven beep so I went upstairs with my pipe in mouth. One dog completely ignored me. The other ran over to me and as soon as he saw the pipe in my mouth he stuck his tail between his legs and put his head down. I took the pipe out of my mouth and he immediately perked up.
Very strange. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Exactly like that no but my dog has reacted badly, growling and taking a defensive posture, on occasion when I have shaved off my beard. I would say that smoking in a closed area resulted in the scent of smoke muting or altering the normal scent the dog associates with you. The strange device emitting smoke stuck in your face probably didn't help but the dog was most likely confused by unfamiliar scent more than anything.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got two beagles. A mother and son. They also see my pipe when rabbit hunting but they are usually off running rabbits and not noticing my pipe. They aren't skittish. They are both very bold silly dogs. I've heard of dogs acting strange around people with hats. I didn't think they would notice the tiny canadian sticking out of my mouth.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Never happened to me with a pipe, but an old friends dog used to hate a coat that was made of deer hide that I used to wear. He wouldn't come near me when I was wearing it. It was instant gratification as soon as I would take it off. Strange.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Milo helps me open difficult tins:
15%2B-%2B1

... and isn't afraid to hop right on in my lap after I've lit my pipe:
15%2B-%2B1

Man ... that was some scraggly beard back then! LOL

May 4, 2015
My husky is enamored with my tobacco. I think the smells really excite him. Any time I get a box in the mail, he's the one that checks it out with me.
Except when the Sutliff Sambuca showed up. :wink:

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I only smoke outside, often when I'm hanging out with the dogs. My female usually ignores my pipe & smoking, but her brother usually jumps up to bite the puffs of smoke.

He also jumps up to bite falling snow flakes.

adaxon

Lurker
Nov 8, 2016
nice. i also like dogs and it will make us save time while playing with dog. LOL. While walking or jogging with dog will be the best time. We can both enjoy smoking and air.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
@cobguy awesome
I'm glad everyone enjoys a pipe with mans best friend. :clap:

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
ahhh yes, I had a german shepard, oh it pains my heart that he did of old age, he would sit next to my dad when he was outside smoking a cigar.

Reactions: SaxonX

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
My dogs always love to butt up next to me while on the couch when I pull out the pipe. I think it relaxes them more than it does me.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
My German short-haired pointer is crazy about chasing smoke rings, also pesters like crazy when he sees any snuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.