PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
terrgoldman123:
In my limited experience it depends upon the breed...and on the dog in question. I have been blessed to have been owned by four (two males and two females) Schipperkes, a breed which is known to mature late. One of the males and one of the females were puppyishly playful all of their years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Based only on my experiences.
Labs will behave like pups for life. Only slowing down as they get into old age.

Golden Retrievers seem to begin to age into well mannered adults around three, maybe a bit earlier.

Siberians become fairly calm at three or four, but always remain escape artists.

My German Shepherd exhibited mischievous behavior his whole life.
I tend to think staying young, as in puppy, is very dependent on their owners and training.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 Warren
My 3 labs are still full of p*** and vinegar after 4 years. I often wonder which one has the brain cell any given day! I took a page out of the Old Cajun's book with a rawhide bone. Give it to one and all three will run until they're all tired. A sleeping dog is a good dog!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
There are some puppy like behaviors they never grow out of. My mastiff used to jump around like a wee pup if I pulled out the "Tug-o-war" rope he used to have.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
2.5 years in and my Boxer/Lab mix is still a raving lunatic! She's good but I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever "grow up". I suppose if I don't have to why should she?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My chocolate lab took a good 3 yrs to settle some. My ex's Dane took 2 yrs and is still dangerous by accident.

I no longer have the lab. Cocoa.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I have a Great Pyrenees. He's usually pretty mellow, but then, he's 7 years old. I was careful to discipline him when he was but a small puppy of 50 lbs. The only thing he does, is sit (briefly) on command, and on a leash, he's very well-behaved. Other than that, uh... pffft...
What does a 150 lb Great Pyrenees do? Anything he wants! :lol:
82a0500a041cad08a60885d66ecdb952.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.