PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
If I'm letting my pipe rest between smokes, how does it know, so to speak? My favorite pipe cools to room temperature within minutes, not hours. How is its life cycle prolonged by increasing the interval between uses?

It seems to me that a life cycle of x smokes will remain consistent between a pipe that's smoked once daily and an identical one that's smoked immediately upon reaching room temperature.

Reactions: bullet08

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
a life cycle of x smokes will remain consistent
I never heard anyone use this phrase before. Where did you get the idea that a pipe has a "life cycle"?

The idea of letting a pipe rest is to let it dry thoroughly.

There is a lot of discussion on this issue, but there seems to be a consensus that it is a best practice to let a pipe rest at least the same number of days as bowls were smoked - if you smoke three bowls in one day, then let it rest at least three days.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I'm letting my pipe rest between smokes, how does it know, so to speak? My favorite pipe cools to room temperature within minutes, not hours. How is its life cycle prolonged by increasing the interval between uses?

It seems to me that a life cycle of x smokes will remain consistent between a pipe that's smoked once daily and an identical one that's smoked immediately upon reaching room temperature.
Keep them clean and they'll likely outlive the user. I smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week or more before changing and have for thirty years with no ill effect. Currently smoking the same meerschaum five times+ per day since April 8th. Here's a photo of a pipe that I was gifted in '92 that has had the same treatment. No burnouts and the stem has yet to oxidize.

20200426_213446.jpg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
If I rested each one a day, I would run out of pipes on the weekends when I am at home where the pipes are stored.

I just take a paper towl and clean out the bowl and run a pipe cleaner through the stem after use. While I do occasionally disassemble, I am not sure why this is necessary.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
The previous advice is correct and it is why you really need to have more than a couple of pipes. Don't worry, if you stick with the hobby/habit you will, in time, be bitten with PAD/TAD and it will happen naturally. Keeping the pipe clean is easy and essential. I disassemble my pipes on the morning following a smoke. I run cold water through the stem and use a pipecleaner to fully dry. I then use a paper towel to vigorously wipe the bowl and a second pipecleaner to clean the mortise. Reassembled, I run a pipecleaner soaked in a good quality spirit through the pipe and set it back in the rack to fully dry. If the stem is ebonite/vulcanite I also rub a bit of obsidian or even olive oil onto the stem and give it a quick buff with microfiber cloth every couple of smokes.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
The real question here is not does the pipe know, it's does the user know. Most of the speculation surrounding pipe rest is related to off flavors brought on by funk, and moisture built up inside. There will be a lot of strong opinions on what is best...some with extreme ideas in 1 direction or the other. The best thing to do is experiment.....if you don't notice anything off-putting after smoking the same pipe 3 times a day for weeks on end....either resting is a myth or your palette isn't refined enough to detect the notes of filth, with hints of grime. Best of luck!

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I never heard anyone use this phrase before. Where did you get the idea that a pipe has a "life cycle"?

There is a lot of discussion on this issue, but there seems to be a consensus that it is a best practice to let a pipe rest at least the same number of days as bowls were smoked - if you smoke three bowls in one day, then let it rest at least three days.
Thanks judcole. No one ever told me anything about a life cycle, but I was asking the question because I'd read someone's idea (written elsewhere, not here, can't remember where) that a pipe needs to rest for 24 hours to thoroughly cool down, and that smoking it more often could lead to its early demise. He was clearly talking about temperature and never mentioned moisture. I must have conflated everybody else's "rest the pipe" advice with that guy's.

The moisture issue makes more sense.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
.....if you don't notice anything off-putting after smoking the same pipe 3 times a day for weeks on end....either resting is a myth or your palette isn't refined enough to detect the notes of filth, with hints of grime.
Hahahaha I'm certain I dont have a refined palate, or many other refinements generally, but I don't like the idea sucking up filth and grime, even unawares.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The real question here is not does the pipe know, it's does the user know. Most of the speculation surrounding pipe rest is related to off flavors brought on by funk, and moisture built up inside. There will be a lot of strong opinions on what is best...some with extreme ideas in 1 direction or the other. The best thing to do is experiment.....if you don't notice anything off-putting after smoking the same pipe 3 times a day for weeks on end....either resting is a myth or your palette isn't refined enough to detect the notes of filth, with hints of grime. Best of luck!
Maybe...kind sir. ??

I’d think most people know the taste of a McDonalds hamburger, as disgusting as it is. The putrid thing either tastes like one or it doesn’t and it does not take any special skill.

If you’re one who has several tobaccos, maybe that matters from one day to the next, but I think you’d know if somethings off.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A lot depends, ya, on how wet your pipe gets when you smoke and that is dependent upon several factors.
If you find your bowl bottom is damp after smoking, perhaps, a swipe with a towel and a rest wouldn't hurt, and then, of course, you cannot ignore the atmosphere of its repose.
Most tobacco will smoke dry if smoked with a decent draw and slowly, thus allowing for repetitive use, or not?

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe

Or, clean it.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I admit to being a “traditionalist” when it comes to many things like this. Though experience has taught me that many traditions probably fall in the category of “myth”. Luckily, I have many pipes, so, I generally give each a week rest. Like others have said, just keep them clean.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I admit to being a “traditionalist” when it comes to many things like this. Though experience has taught me that many traditions probably fall in the category of “myth”. Luckily, I have many pipes, so, I generally give each a week rest. Like others have said, just keep them clean.
Perhaps the concept of “alternative “ myths are applicable.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

I think the idea came from some old gent and his father. One day, when the old gent was much younger, his father informed him "if you find a good pair of shoes, buy another pair. If you rotate them, it will last you twice as long."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you have lots of pipes, then let the pipe rest between smokes. If not, its not going to hurt to smoke the same pipe consecutively. There are lots of people that smoke the same pipe all day long day after day.

I water flush after each smoke so the pipe does need a little time to dry out. I also dedicate pipes to blend genres.