PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
searock let me know if you want to get rid of your Falcon & bowls, I think they taste great and are less filling.

deyomatic

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
I kind of like that balsa insert. I've got one in the first pipe I bought, a Savinelli University (starter) pipe. "Filter" isn't really what is there for, you don't draw through it, it's just there to catch more resin as you smoke. I usually get about 10 bowls out of it before swapping, but I do make a point of wiping it off every time. I actually find this pipe, which I don't believe to be a "dry system" pipe to be more dry than my Peterson System pipe.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Hey deyomatic; I thought I was stretching it when I let the balsa go to 3 pipes without a change! Here is a previous post you may have missed...
A filter; usually the mark of a cheap pipe... but not always. When I was younger I smoked almost nothing but English, but as I got older I've had to tone it down a little. I guess I would be called a heavy pipe smoker; uaually about 10 bowls a day. I need something that doesn't rip the hide off my tongue after a few smokes. During the day I smoke Raleigh. That's right good old cheap, drug store Raleigh. I enjoy the taste and it doesn't scorch my tongue. The last couple of bowls in the evening are usually English of some type.
Different pipes smoke different tobaccos differently. I found that for Raleigh I get a good smoke from the Savinelli filter pipes and I do use the little balsa filters. I really think they are a rather clever and simple idea. All they do is absorbe moisture and tars but don't change the taste. I think they are more of a "passive absorber" than a filter. I like em.
What I don't like about them is the price. Even at wholsale I think they're overly expenive. I usually get 2 or maybe 3 smokes before I replace it and over a years time it can run into money. So, being a cheap s.o.b., I decided there had to be a better and cheaper way. I don't buy them any more. What I did is I bought a batch of balsa rods off ebay. 50 rods, 3 ft. long, 1/8 by 3/16 inchs, rectanular. Then I snap off little pieces in the right length to make my own. Cost about $15. and makes about 1000 filters. Trust me, the smoke doesn't care if they're triangular or rectangular. It works great and I figure I cut my cost big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.