PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
i have so far seen 2 makers ( peterson and Savinelli ) use the dry system to get a cooler, and dryer smoke for more flavor.

Is this really a noticeable difference? any pros, cons?

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
just to add i am thinking of buying ( http://pipesandcigars.com/sadrysysmgo3.html ) and a W.O Larsen signature blend. what ya think.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
The Peterson System is one of my pet peeves. I've had 2 and I disliked smoking them. If you turn one upside down to dump ashes, you have to plug up the stem with a pipe cleaner and turn it stem down first, then dump the ashes. Why? If you turn the bowl down normally, the condensed goo will run down into the bowl!
If you want a "system" I recommend getting a Kirsten or a Falcon. The Kirsten has a valve to close to avoid the mishap I outlined above.
Peterson makes some great pipes, but I stay away from the Systems and the P-lips.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm on the fence on the "System" pipes as far as it having an actual benefit. I have 2 Peterson System pipes and I like them both, but it's not because of the system. Actually, you have to learn how to angle the pipe cleaner a certain way so you can get it into the bowl.
The system is not foolproof. You can still get tongue bite, and a gurgle. I think it's more of a gimmick. I still buy them if I like the pipe, and I have had great smokes with them.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I like the Peterson system pipes just fine, I have two of them. I really like the Savinelli dry system pipes. It isn't the same as the Petersons, but is simply a balsa wood insert that absorbs the excess moisture.
If I am going out for an evening and for whatever reason can take only a single pipe, I will take a Savinelli with a fresh balsa insert and I know I will be good for the evening.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a rack full of Peterson System pipes and love them all. I have never tried the Savinelli system so I can't comment on those.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
so the savinelli dry system requires your to have a balsa wood insert? like this ( http://pipesandcigars.com/sabasyfi9mm.html ) would it mess up the pipe if i did not put insert in it?

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
You can smoke the pipe without the balsa wood filters which are quite expensive. Alternatively go to your nearest craft shop/supplier and buy balsa wood strips which are the same diameter and cut your own. It's a much much cheaper way of doing it and does exactly the same thing.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I thought all the Savinelli's dry systems come with the adapter so you don't have to use the filters. Also just about every Savinelli line of pipes nowadays is "convertible" to put a balsa filter in them so you don't have to get their dry system unless you want to p-lip.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There it is again.... That myth about something called a filter....

Do they really exist, like uhhh (let's be seasonal) a Puritan Turkey?
:)

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
so if i end up buying ( http://pipesandcigars.com/sadrysysmgo3.html ) and smoking it with out a filter b.c i dont want to spend money on unnecessary things. i just love the look of this pipe.
Will a lot of moisture / goo build up in (#6 cross section) (http://www.wesleys.co.za/Savinellidry.htm) if so how would i clean this out? or properly pour out ash with out getting goo everywhere. or for that fact, how do i get the goo out?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Nice. Much like a Peterson 305 http://store.pipesandcigars.com/petersonsystem.html

That should come with a sleeve to take the place of the filter if it requires one. As they say in the description you can mop it out with a pipe cleaner as you would with a Pete. For my Petersons I clean the well with a Q-tip.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I have 64 Petersons in my racks and 37 are System pipes. The only time I have had one gurgle is when I smoked a Deluxe or Premier with the 4 hole condenser in place. The new style 1 hole condenser doesn't give me a problem.

The only Savinelli I've owned was a 315KS and it came with the convertable tube. It didn't seem to make any difference if I used the tube or not. I didn't care for the balsa insert.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just to clarify my other post - I almost never get tongue bite or a gurgle with any of my pipes as I have learned how to smoke them to avoid these unpleasant happenings.
Many years ago when I got my first Peterson system pipe, I wanted to test it out, so I purposely smoked it as hot as I possibly could. If you push it too hard, it will react like most other pipes.
That was the point I meant to make.
After reading more of this thread I now realize that I have two Savinellis that came with balsa inserts, which I just promptly threw away. I do the same thing with the paper filters that come with Dr. Grabows and Corn Cob Pipes.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've smoked system and non-system pipes. I don't find there to be any difference in smoking quality other than more often than not, system pipes are a pain in the butt after a while, dealing with the filters, non-straight airways, etc.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I can recommend the Falcon system as I have two Falcon stems and four bowls. They smoke well but no better than a traditional briar. What I do like about the Falcon system is that most of the tobacco juice is kept away from the bowl and stem. Is it 100% dry? No, but it works fairly well. It's easy to clean and put right back into action with another bowl. There is no rest period needed for the aluminum stem of the Falcon and I also like the fact that it can be cleaned extremly well because of this. You could go from smoking a bold Latakia blend to the subtlest of Virginias with a twist of a bowl.
I've had a bad experiance with the p-lip (pipe cleaner broke off inside the bit and was impossible to remove) and will never buy another. However, I have recently bought two Peterson pipes and will most likely buy more in the future but without the system or the p-lip. I've never considered the tipping issue that others have mentioned here but I think it's a very strong point, especially if you ever smoke Virginia Flakes.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Opinions, opinions, everyone has them...me too. First, in my experience the Peterson "well" system is a joke. Any blend that is producing so much moisture that it has to drip down in the well has serious problems. As to the Kirsten and Falcon systems, yep, they do seem to cut down on the moisture. Only problem is I think they taste like hell. Yuk! Savinelli balsa system: Now we're talking. This ingenious and simple system does work and works well. Removes moisture without changeing the flavor of the blend. As to it being expensive, it can be, unless you look at my posting on this forum about how to do it on the cheap.
Now to all of you who disagree with me about these statements... let the games begin!

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Follow up to previous post. Writing the above post inspired me to pull out my only Peterson, which hasn't been smoked an months. It's an 03S with the "dry" system. Nice looking pipe with silver fitting and comfortable feel. I've been smoking it for about 5 minutes now with my old standby blend, Raleigh. It just started to gurgle..

Status
Not open for further replies.