Does Savinelli Offer The Most Extensive Selection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My guess is that Castello has the most number of different styles of pipes. Yes Savinelli has a boat load of types as well, but Castello has a ton of expensive pipes where they make maybe series of just a few very expensive pipes. Savinelli no doubt is up their it would be interesting to see who the king really is.

I think we should have a contest with the winner to buy me a Castello shape # 49 Occhio di Pernice. Now that would be cool. So boys lets get to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About the Rossi question, the answer is yes, about 15 years ago (or so) Savinelli acquired Rossi, and all of the Rossi pipes are now done in Sav shapes with slightly less refined finishes, but perfectly fine in quality and design. I like my two Rossi pipes very much. I think the shape numbers on Rossi all have an "8" added to the front of the Sav shape number. A Sav 404 (yacht/zulu) is a 8404, for example.

I think my respect for the Savinelli brand arose from starting out with an unfinished 404 from the pipe basket at my local shop, when it was made clear to me that it was, indeed, a Sav. It is a basic pipe without a filter that colored itself beautifully and smoked about as well as any. I have an unfinished billiard of the same ilk made about the same time. Some Savinelli pipes might not be to your liking, but with such a vast array, you can find one to love ... if you like.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
My experience exactly. I don’t buy them so other folks can. I’m generous that way.

Thank you
:cheers:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My guess is that Castello has the most number of different styles of pipes. Yes Savinelli has a boat load of types as well, but Castello has a ton of expensive pipes where they make maybe series of just a few very expensive pipes. Savinelli no doubt is up their it would be interesting to see who the king really is.

I think we should have a contest with the winner to buy me a Castello shape # 49 Occhio di Pernice. Now that would be cool. So boys lets get to it.
Sometimes they even hybridize a few shapes into one design.

002-386-1472.jpg

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
When did savinelli start making pipes?

I really wish they didn't default to 6mm, the adapter isn't a solution I like. Love 70s savinellis, though. Love their shape catalog, and if I could get a 504/121/904 with flawless briar I'd be the happiest dude.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a Ben Wade panel billiard that was a nice pipe, but the finish didn't wear at all, and that is my most distinct "plastic fantastic" experience. It was a blast, but the blast never looked real, so I traded it off. I had thought it would break in nicely with wear. I've never had a Savinelli or Rossi that fit that category. Their unfinished pipes couldn't possibly be plastic, though some become fantastic over time. I have two that have acquired, from that raw lumber look at the beginning, almost off white, to a deep mellow polished walnut sheen, almost like an expensive piece of furniture or a piano. It happens over years, so you don't notice the change, until one day you look down at it and marvel. I never added anything, no wax, no finish at all.

I missed this post somehow.
Skip went to Italy years back and told us about touring Savinelli (weirder thing is that he doesn't even carry Savinelli) But, he was telling us about how they'd show him a section where a cousin or nephew would be making a line of pipes, many without the Savinelli logos, some with. I can't remember which brands were umbrella'd under that factory, but yes, I believe you are right that Savinelli has the most diverse and largest selections, some we may not even be aware are made by Savenelli.

I believe it was in a discussion with Shane Ireland about Cad based lathes, where he mentioned that "even Savenelli" doesn't use CAD based lathes... (forgive my memory if I misquote) but, I was thinking that by his use of "even" and "Savinelli" as a reference that he was implying that they were largest pipe manufacturers.