PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I have a 4 for Sasieni bulldog that I can’t get a pipe cleaner through. It has a screw on stem. If it does, any way of removing it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 26

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I don't know about removing the hardware, but when I encounter a pipe I cannot get a pipe cleaner through I use a section of guitar string. A wound G-string can sometimes clear the obstruction.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I tried something harder and it simply seems to run up against either the wood itself or some kind of ridge. There is a draw so it isn't completely plugged. Just slower than I would normally like.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not a screw on stem. What has happened is that the vulcanite tenon has gotten stuck in the mortise, and unscrewed itself from the stem. You can fix this by softening up the crap between the tenon and the mortise with alcohol. Might take an hour or so, but take an eyedropper, or better, a syringe if you have one, and drip alcohol around the stuck tenon, a bit at a time, and let it dissolve into the crap. You can then screw on the stem and GENTLY twist out the tenon. If it doesn't want to move, don't force it. More alcohol drips for another 20 minutes and try again. You can also try freezing the pipe for a bit to see if that breaks the crap's grip.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's not the original tenon, but a Delrin replacement that was not properly attached.

An entire thread was devoted to the subject on the pipemakers forum:

Though it sounds reasonable and logical, there's no gunk holding it in place to dissolve, so if you haven't messed with dripping alcohol yet, don't bother.

In fact, before doing anything, check the hole in the face of the stem. Is it threaded? If yes, just screw the stem back on and remove the stuck tenon by twisting clockwise. Everything will be whole again---the tenon will be re-attached---and you're good to go as long as you remember to always twist to the right whether installing or removing the stem.

If the hole in the face of the stem is not threaded, you can simply gently remove the tenon with some properly fitting pliers. (Doing that will likely leave some impressed grooves in the threads, but it's OK---some lengthwise grooves should have been put there to begin with).

Unless you have the tools to prepare the surfaces to re-glue the tenon, however, as well as the proper glue, AND know how to avoid gluing the stem to the shank, removing it yourself will achieve nothing. You'll have to send the pipe to a repair guy.

PS --- the lack of pipe cleaner passage is part of the improper tenon install "package"... (Correctly done, that isn't a problem.)

Last edited:

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Okay reading everything you guys said. I can screw the stem clockwise and it should undo the tenon. Messing with my righty tighty thinking. Lol4F9D04E8-857B-4A95-837F-917D7E614CE3.jpeg5498BE65-3895-4F7C-8B0A-13140A45942E.jpeg

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Okay reading everything you guys said. I can screw the stem clockwise and it should undo the tenon. Messing with my righty tighty thinking. Lol. It worked! @sablebrush52 @georged you guys are the reason why these boards are invaluable. Thanks for helping me salvage a priceless pipe to me from my dad who has passed.DC574B2A-8BE2-449F-A956-96114050235B.jpeg

Reactions: OzPiper and MattRVA

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Since I have you on the line…😏. This was my first 4 dot from him and it broke on a flight home after visiting him. I had it in one of my dress shoes thinking it was safe…I know I know. This was over 20 years ago and I didn’t know better to have a pipe travel case. It was my first and only one then. I had a buddy repair it with violin glue and it lasted forever but alas it broke again. The looks are not critical to me other than to safely glue it again and be able to smoke it annually on his day of passing. Any glue suggestions for that? Thanks in advance. image.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only proper way to fix a shank break like this is to send it to @georged to do the repair. This requires removing the existing glue and regluing the break, followed by widening the airway enough to install a steel sheath inside that connects the two halves. The resulting repair will be permanent and will be stronger than the original shank. Nothing less will hold up long term.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Watch this tutorial to see if doing it yourself is an option. (You'll know one way or the other by just seeing it done --- either "Yup, not a problem" or "No way" will spring into your head of its own accord):

Reactions: OzPiper

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
@georged thanks for pointing me in that direction. I think I have a better idea on the gluing process but still would want to see some videos on how to do the tube insert which he references but doesnt show because he didn’t do it on that pipe repair

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Because of the location of the break---at the base of the mortise---a stainless steel sleeve would serve no purpose. (such tubes aren't for strength but to keep the wood dry where it's attached to the glue)

There are only two choices with that pipe: re-do the glue job that failed; or shorten the shank to a half inch past the base of the mortise and attach an entirely new piece of drilled wood to it, then shape the outside and fit an ss tube to the inside.

The latter would nuke the nomenclature, of course.

If the pipe is to be admired much but smoked little, go for option #1. If smoking it routinely is the plan, go for option #2.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I could go back to the video, I know the creator said a couple of glues quickly. Do you guys have any suggestions of glues I should look into to try to glue it back together for option 1. smile.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Lol, haven't met him so I didn't recognize his voice or mug. LOL

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Since I have you on the line…😏. This was my first 4 dot from him and it broke on a flight home after visiting him. I had it in one of my dress shoes thinking it was safe…I know I know. This was over 20 years ago and I didn’t know better to have a pipe travel case. It was my first and only one then. I had a buddy repair it with violin glue and it lasted forever but alas it broke again. The looks are not critical to me other than to safely glue it again and be able to smoke it annually on his day of passing. Any glue suggestions for that? Thanks in advance. View attachment 181417
Violin glue is normally hide glue - it is not permanent. The whole idea with the glue that a luthier would use is to be able to rake the instrument apart in the future for repair. That being said, hide glue is very tenacious and holds well until it is time to open the joint.