PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I have wanted to learn Spanish for my entire life. I am actually a 2nd gen MexAmerican. Dad spoke Spanish 1st then English, mother speaks a fair amount of Spanish. Back then when we were kids, most Spanish speaking parents didn't teach their children the language due to fear of being discriminated against as they were. So none of my bros and sis or cousins speak but we all know "a little". Fast forward to me having 2 daughters and I was determined that they speak Spanish so I sent them through Spanish Immersion school from K - 12th grade. Mission accomplished in reading, writing and speaking. I've been putting this off for years but now I am determined. Rosetta stone seems to be the best but does anyone have direct experience with this to learn a language? I know the best way is to actually live in a country but thats not feasible in the short term for me. As it relates to pipes, I've done module 1 and smoked the entire time. I cant think of a better way to enjoy the weed but to really use my brain. :puffpipe:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
zonomo:
In short: Yes, it works. I've used the Spanish module to brush up on my high-school Spanish, used the French prior to a trip, and am now going through the German in preparation for a vacation this June.
I think it helps to spend a little time with it every day, rather than setting aside a long session on the weekend or something.
Bob

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Never used Rosetta Stone because it is just so darned expensive! I have found a good phrase book in your target language (mine is German) and going to websites in the target language helps. For me, I enjoy German heavy metal music (Rammstein, Eisbrecher, etc.) so listening to the lyrics helps.
I have gotten better at it as I go along. The secret is to remember you are not going to be grammatically correct if you try to speak. The key is communication. When I was in Hamburg, an nice young lady and I were talking back in forth in german and english pretty much the entire evening. She was impressed with how much I knew. We now regularly correspond back and forth via email. She was able to understand me even though I used "Der" instead of "Die".
Grammer will come later..
Viel Glück!

Jason

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Great advice everyone. Thankfully I am a pretty disciplined person in general. My plan is to do it every day but not over do it until I am done with the Level I. So far, so good.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Most of our clientelle doesn't speak English (I'm involved in Immigration Law), and we've found that the Rosetta Stone programs are invaluable for assisting us in our day to day dealings without relying on a translator / translation service. Well they are not cheap, they do work wonderfully; between me and my partner, we've picked up Farsi, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, and more recently I've been using it to brush up on my Latin.
Rosetta Stone works very well. We used it in the Defense and State Department.
I can confirm that it is also used by the Canadian Dept. of Foreign Affairs, Dept. of Defence, Border Services (Customs) and Citizenship and Immigration.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
schmitzbitz wrote:
Farsi, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese
My hat is off to you, sir. I have no personal experience with those languages, but they strike me as being some of the most difficult for a Westerner to pick up.
Bob

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Lawrence (I likely botched a few noun forms; I hope you don't expect me to write lines!): non possum dicere quod ego sum - forsit quia hoc masculis esset adepto meus suffragium ferendum:
PopeVader_zps3bafef28.jpg

(Not that I think he would do a good job, but simply to hear him say 'I find your lack of faith disturbing.')

Aug 1, 2012
Does Rosetta Stone work?
Nicht für mich.
Works great for the wifey but my learning style is geared wrong for me to get the best out of it. The bad part is that I can pass every level in German and I've never taken the language before, just spent a few weeks at a time in Germany and Austria every few years.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I learned enough Spanish to get by in Mexico:

Dos mas cervezas por fa vor. Didn't say I could spell,

and La quinta por fa vor.

Cabearro el banyo, rapido.

Everything I need.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Ya know.. ever since I started down this road to language learning (casually) I find myself writing the German equivalent. Like "und" "mit" "besser" etc. Sometimes I talk to myself in German (I almost typed Deutsch.. lol).
I also speak to the dogs in German just to see the look in their eyes...
"Bist du gutes Hunde?" (yeah.. my spelling and grammer is not right)
They look at me with that.. "When are we eating?" look
Jason

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I'm curious about it myself. I took Spanish from 5th grade up to 11th, and while in my senior year of High School I was a Teacher's Assist in our school's second level course. I've forgotten lots of hat I have learned simply by living in a rural area with little Spanish speaking peoples. If I were in Holland, MI I bet I would be still fluent...

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have heard many positive reviews on it. Some detectives in my old unit with the Sheriff's Office used it to learn Spanish and did very well.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.