PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
The main problem is that you brought in estates, and since you can get some great quality pipes for dirt cheap it messes the whole idea up. I would think that paying more would equal a better pipe up until you hit the extremely high range, but I cannot speak from experience since the most I've spent on a pipe is $50, but yet again I've only bought estate pipes after I bought my first cheap on. Now if we want to make this more confusing lets throw in commission pipes.

~Ron

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
At the NYC pipe club there are several members who purchase high end pipes. I'm saying $1200 to $2500 that include makers such as J. Alan and other names that I just can't remember. I've examined these pipes in the darkness of 'Cafe Tobac' in Soho (Manhattan) with a flashlight, making it quite difficult to check all aspects of finish etc. I can check draft hole alignment and ask questions of these fellows to determine the comparison of other pipes and the differences in alignment. Past that, I've checked balance and the feel of the stem, how it mates to the stummel, etc. These pipes do feel great and the fit seems perfect.
I am no expert in these matters whatsoever.
These folks have hundreds of pipes, and they claim that the smoking of these as quite different than other less expensive makers.
Is it bluster? Is it the desire for 'collectibility'? I'm not sure. I'm guessing that they are not using the rent money to purchase these, so I've come to the conclusion that like a 'Channel' bag, or 'Gucci' loafers, or whatever, hold the same stuff just as well as a no-name bag, or a another lesser pair of shoes.
If you can afford it, and it doesn't make you uncomfortable spending money on your hobby, then go for it.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Keeping price ranges in perspective of MSRP costs, not always what I pay for them, or sometimes gifts.
I have handful of pipes in the $100 - $500 range (including a couple custom cobs). One of the mid priced meers gurgles no matter what I do, and the stem tends to wiggle more as it warms up.
I have MANY pipes in the $3 - $99 range (lot of cobs). My Lorenzo has never smoked properly no matter what I do.
My personal opinion says a higher priced pipe should be a perfect smoke, but is not 100% fact for me. The only 100% fact for higher priced pipes for ME is they cost more.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
The thing I always think about is, if you'd spent $500+ on a pipe, could you bring yourself to even admit it was a crap smoke???

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The thing I always think about is, if you'd spent $500+ on a pipe, could you bring yourself to even admit it was a crap smoke???
In short, YES. I would also not be afraid to talk or post about it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Agree with onepyro.
Although I haven't seen that example posted recently, I believe that folks here would mention it.
Whatever the price.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
There will be differing opinions, but in my experience a well made pipe (which includes top grade materials and solid engineering) will provide a more enjoyable smoke.
I have come to the conclusion that for me, I prefer to have fewer artisan made pipes that I love smoking than bunches of cheaper pipes that I have to force myself to smoke. I have bought plenty of great American artisan estate pipes for 140-250.00 and will continue to do so.
Follow the above quotes and you simply can't go wrong. I love my artisan pipes and if they cost $20 or $450 they would still smoke the same. Some great Artisan estates out there right now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hell yes, I once got a pipe from Rainer Barbi that was over 500.00 and it did not smoke very well at all.

Aug 1, 2012
There is a point of diminishing returns with pipe prices. Up to that point, where it is you will have to decide for yourself, the higher price will generally yield a better smoking pipe. Past that, you have to make the decision on whether it is worth it to pay for grain, the name or whatever else is causing the price to be that much more.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Unfortunately, as a single parent I can't afford some of these higher end pipes in the $400-500 range. I would like to, they are stunning to look at. I do plan on purchasing one in the near future when my screwball tax situation gets worked out. From my perspective I generally try to purchase pipes that sit around $100 from reputable factory brands such as Brigham, Savinelli and Stanwell. I believe that I am getting a high quality smoke from those pipes, with good construction at an affordable price. Do they compare to a Rad Davis or Michael Parks, not likely at all. However, I get great enjoyment from my pipes as they stand, and I believe in the end that is all that matters. At our pipe club I've met with Michael Parks several times and he was fascinated by a Rattray's panel billiard my son picked out for me that cost $90, he couldn't stop looking at the pipe. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have yet to be looked down on for smoking my Brigham next to someone smoking a Parks.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very interesting thread! So many factors contribute to the smoking experience in addition to the engineering, aesthetics, artisan vs factory, status symbol, etc, etc.

Most of my collection consists of estates. Because of my fondness for Pre_Trans Barlings it could hardly be otherwise since they haven't been made since the early 1960's. But I also collect American artisan made pipes, and many of these are new.

Do my more expensive pipes smoke better than the less expensive pieces? For the most part, no. But many of the less expensive pipes, like the Pre-War Kaywoodies, were high grades in their day. They're just good values on the collector market. So for me, it's not how much I'm spending, as on what I'm spending. There are a lot of very fine pipes on the estate market, like Ehrlich, that are well made with quality materials, and which go for peanuts. It's about knowing something about pipes as much as it is about spending $$.

And ultimately it's about what makes for a memorable smoking experience for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.