PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
So far my spouse hasn't complained yet and she didn't back then but since my long hiatus from the hobby the taste of tobacco seems to linger for days in my mouth. Was just wondering if anyone else may notice...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bad breath and pipe smoking depends partly on your body chemistry. If you smoke moderately -- which I'd define as a bowl or two most days -- most people don't have a problem, but some do. When I used to smoke aromatics regularly, I don't think it gave me bad breath but the aftertaste problem made me lay off pipes from time to time. I think the flavorings in aromatics can do things to your sense of taste, though I smoke an occasional aromatic for a change of pace. Your breath also depends a lot on dental health, and this depends partly on dental hygiene and partly on your inherited dental health. Resolve any dental problems on an ongoing basis. Brush and floss regularly as recommended. Get your instructions from your dentist. Your spouse/significant other will smell tobacco on your breath, so be considerate -- brushing and breath mints as required. Any ongoing problem, see your dentist. Moderation is probably a good preventative.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Agreed! I found that the most important besides tooth brushing and flossing is cleaning your tong with brush or one of these special spatula. I do this on a daily basis. I never had problems so far but I stopped pipe smoking for about ten years and I was surprised by the aftertaste thing!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The smoke gets into all manner of nooks and crannies in the mouth and nasal passages - during the spring, when my allergies go haywire, I can get a sudden burst of tobacco scent days later when a sinus finally drains... My usual post-smoke routine includes brushing my teeth, washing my beard and mustache, and using Biotene mouthwash (also gargling, to get the back of the throat. I've even been known to use a neti pot to rinse out the nasal passages, especially if they're feeling a little irritated by pollen and/or a particularly pungent English tobacco... :D

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
cleaning your tong with brush or one of these special spatula
I know what you meant on that comment, but I did almost spit up my coffee when I read that...:)
And on the subject of tobacco smell...We smoke a pipe about once a week and on those rare days when my wife doesn't smoke a pipe with me- trust me- she always notices the smell.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I usually brush right after I smoke so I don't get any complaints from the old lady.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I find that people will smell it on your clothes and hair. On the other hand, I don't let people get so close that they would smell my breath. Pax

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
It will cause a little bit of what others have described as "ashy" breath. But like mso said, breath mints and brushing helps. I keep some of those small quick on the go brushes with me. The ones that have built in toothpaste. Those help. But Facial hair and the hair on your head will hold the scent a bit longer.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Good dental hygiene is a must if you are a smoker. Flossing and brushing, with the occasional rinse of mouthwash should keep the complaints of bad breath to a minimum. And on the plus side, it will also help reduce the risk of oral cancer, which is obviously increased with pipe and cigar smoking.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Only if you smoke the wrong blends! :lol: I love the aftertaste of my blend of choice.
Cheers,--Eric

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
In short: yes. Good hygiene (for you and your pipe) goes a long way. If your lady friend doesn't find the smell (or idea) of the pipe attractive, you probably won't be doing the horizontal polka without a good shower and teeth brushing.
Cheers :)

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Tnx. Much good advice on this forum. Probably the aftertaste doesn't come from my mouth but from sinuses and such, where toothbrush, tong spatula and mouthwash don't reach. Sense of taste and smell are in the nose after all.

zenistar

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Switzerland
I've not really had any complaints from my other half about this, but then again in her eyes anything is better than cigar breath!
Since switching to pipes though I also added a WaterPik water flosser to my dental routine - this works really well as an alternative to flossing.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Yes it affects your breath, as would anything that goes in the mouth. Keep your mouth clean drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated and you should be good as far as personal hygiene. There are many products to cover up the smell just be careful with the alcohol based oral perfumes since they will tend to dry the mouth.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Yes it affects your breath, as would anything that goes in the mouth. Keep your mouth clean drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated and you should be good as far as personal hygiene. There are many products to cover up the smell just be careful with the alcohol based oral perfumes since they will tend to dry the mouth. Your sense of taste is affected by the mouth and the nose. To keep it off the body, aside from showering a smoking jacket or bathrobe would work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.