Does Oxidation Occur on the Inside of the Stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I just picked up an estate Peretti pipe on ebay. It looked pretty clean but had a funky sort of musty/dusty smell to it. I think it might have been the stem oxidation because that is what I smelled when rubbing the Magic Eraser on it (I was rubbing the stem with the eraser dry before I read that I should wet it). Anyway, after the Salt & Alcohol treatment to the bowl, the oxiclean and magic eraser treatment to the stem, several retorts with 91% rubbing alcohol through stem and bowl, and a bunch of pipe cleaners dipped in the same 91%, I think I've gotten rid of the smell. Does oxidation occur on the inside of the stem? Is there any other way to do a thorough cleaning of the inside of the stem?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I had never thought about that either. Since light exposure causes most oxidation I doubt it does (much anyway). I have used the bristle pipe cleaners with good results and for when they get a bit funky, usually happen on cheaper acrylic stems (cobs, Grabows sometimes) I soak them in white vinegar/water over night. Vinegar does wonders on taking odors out of all kinds of plastics, by the way.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I'm glad you asked, I was just wondering that a couple days ago when I boiled one of my stems and made it oxidize, it doesn't taste quite the same. I hope someone has a good answer, cause I'd really like to know too.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yes it does. When I restore stems, I make sure to scrub and polish the insides, too.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
hfearly, Can you elaborate on your method for cleaning the inside of the stems?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Tombraider: Soaking in Oxyclean, or for tough cases, soak in bleach. After the soaking make sure to run plenty of warm water through the insides, and I use pipe cleaners to scrub the inside under warm water. You will notice that they'll come out brown (that's the oxidization). Scrub until white. Then I use put plastic polish on a pipe cleaner and run them through the insides (either plastic buffing component, or Macguire's Scratch X 2 works fine). If you hold them up to the light, you will see if they are sparkly smooth or not.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
lols Spartan. If you have'nt cleaned your pipe in so long that it oxydizes in the airway, I think that makes you a non-smoker with an estate pipe.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
You will notice that they'll come out brown (that's the oxidization).
Interesting; I always assumed that was tar/oil buildup. I do know what you're talking a out though, as you can clearly see it pour out of the stems when you take them out of the OxyClean bath many times. I usually don't do plastic polish, personally, unless its a clear/translucent stem that you can see stains/cloudiness in. May be worth revisiting that though. Thanks for the info, Nic.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@DRAGONSLAYER (A name like that should always be capitalized)
And... I don't own a pipe with a vulcanite stem yet. So I get to laugh at something like this, because I posed the question when I first got here, but never got such a great answer as hfearly gave.
I imagine no one puts the protective coat of oil on the inside of the stem which is also rubber and oxidizes...
Or do they?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Greg: I just really love a well-polished stem inside. To me it makes quite a noticeable difference in terms of a dry smoke. Rough stem-insides just appear to be much more prone to smoking wetly (I guess due to the increase condensation of the tobacco smoke).

Status
Not open for further replies.