PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have seen comments about people cutting coins of rope tobacco and stacking them like pancakes in the bowl to smoke.

Just can’t envision that working out so well - or at all.

To be fair, I’ve never tried it because it seems like a good way to dump a mostly unsmoked mess of good tobacco out and curse a lot.

But I’m curious. Has anybody done this and did it work?!

Normally I cut a few coins and lightly rub them before packing and it works fine, but for years I’ve read and heard about people recommending this and never, ever, ever seen anybody actually doing it.

But then again, I’m the only person in my neck of the woods that smokes plugs and ropes and twists and such. Even the occasional pipe smokers I encounter generally aren’t familiar with this type of tobacco.

So, anybody have any firsthand knowledge of this technique or is it urban legend / BS?

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You callin out @jiminks ? ?

yes it’s possible. You kind of have to put loose stuff or an air gap on the bottom, then put some particles on top for kindling. I also usually kind of give a squish or two to the stack of coins to allow airflow, personally.

I’m talking coins the size of three nuns or dark Twist.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
You callin out @jiminks ? ?

yes it’s possible. You kind of have to put loose stuff or an air gap on the bottom, then put some particles on top for kindling. I also usually kind of give a squish or two to the stack of coins to allow airflow, personally.

I’m talking coins the size of three nuns or dark Twist.

No, lol, if he says it then it’s gospel truth for me. Just never read anything from him on this topic.

I’m just curious and thought I’d ask the hive mind about their collective experiences.

Maybe I will try it if it’s not just bollocks.

Right now I’m smoking some Happy Brown Bogey and it got me to wondering about how folks smoked their ropes. Bogey is quite small for a rope tobacco so it’s packed differently than thicker ones. Tasty stuff.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Superior Round Slices come already sliced into thin coins. They're about the same diameter as Cabbie's but a hair thinner.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have seen comments about people cutting coins of rope tobacco and stacking them like pancakes in the bowl to smoke.

Just can’t envision that working out so well - or at all.

To be fair, I’ve never tried it because it seems like a good way to dump a mostly unsmoked mess of good tobacco out and curse a lot.

But I’m curious. Has anybody done this and did it work?!

Normally I cut a few coins and lightly rub them before packing and it works fine, but for years I’ve read and heard about people recommending this and never, ever, ever seen anybody actually doing it.

But then again, I’m the only person in my neck of the woods that smokes plugs and ropes and twists and such. Even the occasional pipe smokers I encounter generally aren’t familiar with this type of tobacco.

So, anybody have any firsthand knowledge of this technique or is it urban legend / BS?

I always did that with the VaPer Three Nuns. I've done it with some Mac Baren coins, and a few ropes and twists as well. I did the loose tobacco at the top and bottom as Brobs does. That and not packing the tobacco tight are key things to do.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It works! Like Jim and Brian said, just slice 'em thin, dry 'em out, and rub out the top and bottom coins. I sometimes cut little .5 inch squares from flakes and stack them sloppily for a similar experience.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Well, I’m going to try this tomorrow! I’ve got some Brown #4 and some Irish XX that I can experiment with.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I was skeptical first time I tried it. the bowl smokes a lot slower.. but I still prefer to just rub them out.

Reactions: rushx9