72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I do think that "some" crossgrain pipes have a movement of tars and oils. We would really have to smoke, cut, and examine a lot of pipes with various different varieties of briar, and from various parts of the burl to get an idea of what is really happening in "some" pipes. But, as far as the grain forcing oils back into the chamber... I don't think this is an issue. I've never had a problem with any of my cross grain pipes smoking wet, nor really different from any other grain pattern. Someone would have really delve into smoking and cutting a lot of pipes to verify that with whether it smokes any wetter.
Well it is somewhat factually accurate, but I don’t think it really amounts to any noticeable difference to the smoker. I have a Rossi Canadian that oozes out the capillaries when you smoke it. It’s kinda neat but it smokes the same as any Ithaca pipe.

• Wow
Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Does better grain equal better taste?

I know that pipe makers reserve the best briar grain for their stained pipes and use the less consistent briar for rusticated finishes. Does this translate into better taste for natural grain bowls vs. rusticated?

Reason I ask is I have two pipes (A Peterson 05 Dublin Filter and an Amadeus, both 9mm) with beautiful grain that smoke miles ahead of my other pipes, all of which are rusticated or super dark finish. As much as I love my Peterson System Heritage 303, it still has some elbows and knees in the smoke.

Let me know what your think, o men of experience.
I don't think nicer grained briar necessarily taste better lesser grained briar. But pipe makers do charge more for nicer grains. As a result, they may consciously (or unconsciously) put better and more careful work in their nicer grained pipes so they end up smoking better.

Reactions: jpberg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I don't think nicer grained briar necessarily taste better lesser grained briar. But pipe makers do charge more for nicer grains. As a result, they may consciously (or unconsciously) put better and more careful work in their nicer grained pipes so they end up smoking better.
Yup, if your brain thinks it smokes better, it does.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Does better grain equal better taste?

I know that pipe makers reserve the best briar grain for their stained pipes and use the less consistent briar for rusticated finishes. Does this translate into better taste for natural grain bowls vs. rusticated?

Reason I ask is I have two pipes (A Peterson 05 Dublin Filter and an Amadeus, both 9mm) with beautiful grain that smoke miles ahead of my other pipes, all of which are rusticated or super dark finish. As much as I love my Peterson System Heritage 303, it still has some elbows and knees in the smoke.

Let me know what your think, o men of experience.
IF, all else is equal (and it never is) perhaps someone could detect a difference in smoking quality caused by the orientation or quality of the grain.

It's also possible that the better grained pieces are singled out for more attention in curing and carving since they will sell for a higher price.

In general, I prefer pipes that are lighter for the same size as I infer the briar has less sap and tar. I have had a pipe with excellent straight grain that I could never get to smoke well and a Comoys second that is almost bald wood and smokes just fine.

Reactions: yanoJL

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not only does a pipe's grain matter, the TAMPER used makes a difference as well.

Fred Hanna explained all this in a book he wrote several years ago.

The book is titled The Perfect Smoke, and the info about tampers was given an entire chapter. It's titled "The Hidden Benefits of the Expensive Pipe Tamper"

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Briar is not cured differently based on grain.

Grain has nothing to do with how a pipe smokes.

Nuth.

Ing.

Ignore this guy ^^^^ this time of year.

Weather-induced isolation in the far north where he lives creates a confused state of mind by May.

In another month he'll start to feel better, and he'll actually be OK for a few weeks. Ask him again then. He KNOWS grain affects taste.

Don't wait too long, though. Winter returns in September.

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD