Does Anything Really Smoke Better Than A Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Do you carry a mirror around all the time and constantly check yourself out? With and without a pipe?
Nope, but I have been in front of a mirror with a pipe in my mouth plenty of times. Cobs just look goofy for me.

You are just having an emotional attachment to the cobs because thats what you picked up for the first time. Cobs are "real" pipes. Anyone else saying otherwise is just ignorant. That being said, cobs are okay, NOT epic, not bad. If you really want to enjoy your smoke, stop worrying about pipes or how expensive they are. A well broken pipe will always smoke better than an unbroken one. That being said, there is a difference between a $10 pipes and a $1000 pipe.
Chris

Mar 1, 2014
Most folks will happily sign their checks with a Bic and never visit a forum for writing instrument enthusiasts to brag about it.
Walt, thank you for bringing up the subject of writing instruments.

This gives me the opportunity, and great pleasure, to introduce to you one of the greatest men alive today. Someone who by example can probably make a better argument for the Cob than any words I can string together.
A shining light in dark times, never afraid of his own opinion, always entertaining, a veritable one man army (he runs his company almost entirely by himself), an inspiration to all, I give you:

Nathan Tardiff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6_4GK8QCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6L0lL-VzSE
The reason people buy a Fountain Pen is almost identical to the reason people buy a Pipe.

Lower cost, less waste, huge variety, greater enjoyment of an otherwise ordinary thing, and a connection to the old world.
By following Nathan's instructions, and with some extra research and practice (tuning nibs is a bit of a hobby in itself), you can have what is functionally one of the best writing instruments in history, for about $20.

Actually my current favourite setup, a Jinhao 159, only costs $10 (http://www.gouletpens.com/jinhao-159-fountain-pen-black-medium/p/JIN-159-Black), and it will take #6 size Noodler's nibs, and seems to write decently wet by default.
Can you spend more money to get something better? That depends on what you mean by "better". More polish and better looking? Yes, but not a better writing instrument. Stock nibs from the factory are all pretty much the same whether the pen cost $300 (like my Pelikan M600, which I waited about a day before I took it to the grind stone) or $10 (like my Jinhao 159).

I've read enough stories about people returning pens to Montblanc to know that it's not worth my time. Even Nakaya is more marketing than function (they use stock Platinum nibs, and I've heard some complaints).

The only way for someone to guarantee a premium experience with a pen, without tuning it themselves, is to send it to someone for tuning. The only website I know of with this service is Indy Pen Dance (http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/), but there may be people on the forums who could do it for less if you're not using an expensive pen.
Anyways.

Bringing this boat back around to Cobs, it's the same situation as the pen.

Even if you discount the wide open draw that so many people are looking for, a Cob is going to perform about as well as virtually any factory pipe off the shelf, and as a matter of price to performance they are absolutely unparalleled.

I would say that a Rossi Vittoria for $44 is a great deal too, except that the ONE pipe I bought from them had a draft hole clogged with bowl coating. Out of nearly two dozen Cobs I've never had one that didn't function perfectly out of the box.

On top of that, if you count the open draw, quite frankly Missouri Meerschaum is the only option for many people looking for a certain kind of pipe smoking experience.

Not that I particularly care whether or not a pipe has an wide open draw anymore, but it's something different to try. Isn't variety one of the things we love most about this hobby?
Just like any other pipe, if you're not happy with the stock configuration you can send it in for a little tuning and a custom stem and it will probably come back an amazing pipe, even with all the rough edges on the outside.

Cobs will never fit in with a certain crowd, but like General MacArthur, sometimes it's healthy to keep a sense of pride in your roots no matter how distant that may seem.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Frozenchruchwarden, somewhere along the line, this conversation turned into a debate on other aspects of the pipe smoking experience as a whole, including aesthetics, quality and precision of craftsmanship, comfort, price, etc... This was partially my fault, and I apologize for muddying the waters on the issue.
Please allow me to return, for a moment, to the question which was originally presented: "Does anything really smoke better than a cob?"
Now, I'm not sure what would qualify one to be an expert on the subject of pipes, but dare I submit my credentials? It has now been about twenty years since I started smoking a pipe, and about eighteen years since pipe smoking/collecting/making became the focus of my lifestyle. Whereas, to many here, pipes are just a hobby, I live and breathe pipes. Pipes are my business. In all those years, I have smoked nearly every brand, material, and configuration of pipe that exists.
Does anything really smoke better than a cob? Given my experience, the question itself is absolutely absurd. The answer is absolutely "Yes"...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wow... so much snobbery toward corn cob pipes. Telling someone not to start out with a cob is silly. Lets say the individual just doesn't take to pipe smoking now they're out $120+, because they spent $100 on the pipe and another $20 plus on accessories and tobacco only to find out its not for them. Plus the last time I checked spending $100 on a pipe doesn't guarantee that its going to be a good smoker, and not have any flaws. My friend just bought a Dunhill the other day and even it had some flaws, and he's not happy about that. I laughed because I told him he was wasting his money on it, and I was right. LOL
I have really nice artisan briar pipes, factory made briar pipes, and corn cob pipes. I don't have a preference when it comes to my pipes. I enjoy all of them. I have 10 cobs, and I smoke all of them on a regular basis, and I think that my corn cobs smoke just as well as my $200+ pipes. They smoke cool, they are never wet (no need for a pipe cleaner during the smoke), they clinch well, I can smoke any type of tobacco in them (ie ribbon cut, flake, etc.), and they actually smoke some tobacco better and give it a better flavor (ie OTC blends like Granger, Carter Hall, SWR, Captain Black etc.). For the record I've never tasted any corn flavor when smoking any of my cobs. Plus they're inexpensive so if you lose it you're not out a lot of money. Personally I think everyone should try a cob and see how good a smoker than can be. Don't get caught up in the "perfect image" of a pipe smoker, and just enjoy what you enjoy, and if that means you smoke a cob then so be it. Heck I smoke my cobs in public all the time. It doesn't make me look cheap, it doesn't make me look unsophisticated, it just makes me look like a pipe smoker which I am. I know several people that only smoke cobs and there is nothing wrong with that, because that's what they prefer. Cobs are great smoking pipes and anyone that says otherwise has never given a corn cob pipe a chance and are just pipe snobs.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I just got my new freehand Meershom cob and man do I love it. Cobs just seem to taste so fresh and clean when they are new, at least imo.

search

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would encourage every pipe smoker to own at least one briar, cob, clay and meer pipe... I guess I could add morta, strawberry wood etc to the list once I had tried them myself. They are all a part of the history of our hobby and each have merits of their own. However if I could only smoke one it would be briar and I would be completely satisfied with that.
Isaac

Wow... so much snobbery toward corn cob pipes.

I saw many in this thread that were the opposite. Cob snobs?

HA ha, anyways what's wrong with snobbery in a pipe smoking forum? This is the one place for pipe snobs to come and rub elbows with other snobs, especially if you don't have a pipe club to attend, where we snobs get together in real life and show off our new pipes. I guess there could be a corn cob pipe club, where guys could get together and show off their newest purchases of Country Gentlemen and McCarthurs, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.
The only pipe smoker I know that doesn't have at least one corncob pipe rolling around in a drawer somewhere is an exclusive Dr Grabow smoker. :wink: but, when someone comes over that appreciates pipe smoking, the corn cob is not going to be the pipe that I pull out to show off.
Long live the snobbery!! :wink:

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I'll chime in. I have about 40 pipes, about 15 of them are cobs of various shapes, sizes, and customizations. Some of my cobs smoke better than some of my briars. I appreciate the aesthetic of some of my cobs as much or more than some of my briars - some much more than the artisan shapes that seem to be rage these days. I realize that this thread queried the smokeability of cobs as compared to all other pipes, and to say that, as a group, all cobs smoke better or worse than all briars is to give no weight to my experience. (I do not suggest that my experience was the benchmark for the original post, nor that it should be.)
I have absolutely no pipe credentials. I am still a neophyte. But my four years of experience with my pipes has been that every one of my pipes smoke differently from every other one of my pipes (except that my "better" cobs smoke the same as the other of my "better" cobs). And some of those smoke as well or "better" than some of my briars.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Cosmic: In a weird way I agree with you. Thats what I love about this forum, the respect(tolerance?) for each others opinion no matter how much we disagree.
As I've matured as a pipe smoker I find myself no longer smoking virginias and english blends in a briar and pretty much smoke only bulk aromatics in my freehand corncob. hehe :D

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I am going to admit something, I LOVE to poke fun at people that take themselves too seriously.
It doesn't matter the subject, brand specific motorcycle forums are maybe the ripest fields for harvest.
The cob threads are killer, they always bring at the best.
I am a little weak, I fall for some of it. Until I found this place I would never have spent $100 on a pipe.

My dad would roll over in his grave if he knew it. Now I have my sites set a little higher, it would save me cash if I would ignore more of this place.
But I love it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.