Does Anything Really Smoke Better Than A Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I was doing some yard work yesterday and was smoking one of my cobs. All I could think of was that this is a good -- but not great -- smoking experience. And the only reason the experience was good is because I replaced the atrocious plast stems with Forever Stems.
I have many pipes that smoke way better than my cobs. Nevertheless, as long as you are happy, then smoke away.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
"Smoking a Cob is smart, but puffing on a good Briar, well that's brilliance."

P

pipebuddy

I have tried clay, cobs, meerschaum, morta and briar.
While I still have cobs, meerschaums and briars, I can say, after almost 30 years of smoking a pipe, that nothing can beat a briar, IMHO. Nothing.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
This thread is a lot of fun. It's like watching kids argue over who the strongest superhero is.
Different pipes appeal to different people, at different times. Some of us are very part-time smokers, who truly relish in their one smoke per week, in their choicest briar, at the finest hour. Some of us smoke like freight trains. Some are mostly unemployed, or retired-semi retired, and have ample time to smoke. Some work eighty hours a week, and may or may not be able to smoke on the job- thus having abundant smoking time- or near to none.
I for one, work outside. I can smoke when and where I please, twenty-four hours a day. I have multiple cobs- which smoke at work, and while I'm out and about. Why? Because they are in my experience, the only pipes I've smoked that don't need a pipe cleaner to soak up moisture, after five or six consecutive smokes. In addition to that, my briars are semi-important to me, and I wouldn't want to lose one. Also- I would never smoke a Rad Davis on a construction site (unless I was the GC, and I was simply stopping by to check on things).
(I do believe there is a good chance a high quality artisan pipe, can possibly successfully smoke six bowls consecutively, without leaking.)
That being said, I try not to smoke a cob when I'm at home. :nana:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This thread is a lot of fun. It's like watching kids argue over who the strongest superhero is.
LOL ... great analogy. It's The Silver Surfer, by the way! :)

Mar 1, 2014
Really the question is which writer is most willing to break with convention.

Anyone can write a character with no weaknesses, but within Marvel and D.C. there are theoretically limits on what they will publish.

Which writers have broken the most rules is probably what defines the characters with the most outlandish powers.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My 2 hybrid cobs.

A Legend and a Mizzou.
AF1QipMUMUdbGRdXF6iEfMMb66mz_KtKbqgFmVCrhoPH

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Carter Hall is better in a cob than in a briar.
McClelland #27 Matured Virginia is better in a briar than in a cob.
You might be surprised that I have experience with both.
CarterCob.jpg

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
Nothing, but nothing smokes better than a Missouri Meerschaum cob, at any price. I have at least one of every model they make, including the new Cobbit Series. I even still have my first pipe, a Missouri Meerschaum bent Bulldog, discontinued over 20 years ago, I think. It still smokes great.
You can never go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobguy, everyone knows that Thor is the best superhero, followed by the Hulk.
If a cob looked as good as one of my Rad's, then I still wouldn't smoke them. To my eye a cob is a pipe that just doesn't look like a pipe. To my eye, a Dunhill Shell Briar with a black stain looks like a pipe, classic looks is something I need to see hanging in my mouth. Since I don't like Dunhill's, I don't own any no matter how good I think they look A cob stem is something that is just so ugly to me, that I cannot get past it.
I think people should smoke what they love no matter what it looks like. Just don't ask me to love it. When it comes to smoking properties, I will not give way to what I enjoy as for me it is all about enjoying the smoke first, looks second. I have bought plenty of pipes where I did not care for the looks but bought the pipe anyway because of how it smoked.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Somebody on this forum and I can't remember who, once said "there's nothing wrong with a cob that a miracle wouldn't cure.". I think I'd have to agree. Try as I might I just can't develop a liking for them.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
After never having smoked at all, I started recently with cobs and I jut bought a Dr. Grabow briar. I noticed immediately that the briar smoked better, my cobs were leaving some kind of after taste that I did not notice with the briar. I initially thought it was the tobacco but soon realized that it was the cobs. I've no explanation for it, only that this briar (the Grabow) smokes way better than the cob IMO.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I love them all so far. They all have different appeal at different times for different tobaccos. It is funny that in my very limited experience so far, I cannot get past the look of Meer pipes. I do not know what it is, perhaps some of the carvings/styles I don't know. So far my briars smoke real nice, my cobs are disposable to me at $5 each but they each are good smokers so far.
@cigrmaster, you have some really nice pipes m8 :clap:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Any $200 Tinsky will smoke every bit as good as a $600 Davis. Cobs are OK for riding the tractor, fishin, etc..

Mar 1, 2014
Cigrmaster:

I think people should smoke what they love no matter what it looks like. Just don't ask me to love it.
If one of your pipes turned out to be a Cob dressed like a Briar would you wash your mouth with soap and shower for three hours straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.