Does Anyone Smoke a Tyrolean Pipe Regularly?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every so often I get an itch to get a long Tyrolean hunters pipe. I start to browse around, watch a few auctions, but never is the trigger pulled.

Has anyone here bought one and use it? I smoke so infrequently that I would almost never use it, but those that do, what are you impressions?

images.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a long one that is made from Briar and cherry wood. I did smoke it once but it was bought to be eye candy on the shelf.

I also have one that is a sitter. Don't smoke it either.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve wondered the same thing about the type shown below. I’ve got one that was obviously smoked nearly to death over many, many years. Stem chewed, caked nearly shut, metal work blackened with age, briar beat up pretty bad - somebody seriously smoked the shit out of it. But … really? It doesn’t seem very practical but I don’t know?

1649518165502.jpeg
This is similar to mine just 1000% less hammered.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A girl we knew went to serve in an orphanage in the Czech Republic. When she returned, she brought me an inexpensive Tyrolean from there (my guess is pear wood). It's a neat display item in my pipe cabinet.
Once or twice a year, my kids will notice how cool it looks and ask me to smoke it, so I do.
But the reality is that I wouldn't reach for it even once a year if not for my kids getting excited about its exotic shape.
I am very thankful for it, and very glad for how it looks in the collection, and even glad that I do smoke it once in a blue moon, but the truth is that it isn't as convenient or pleasant a smoke as more conventional pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've had two. The one was amazing. The other was crap. It was one of my favorite pipes. Large chamber condensation chamber easy to clench built in wind cap. The thing is they're great if you can find a good one. I feel like when I eventually buy another I might as well go the custom route. Both that I bought came with the this is smokeable but not really meant for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one. Tyrolleans and Cavaliers just feel elaborate and theatrical. They almost require a beer hall full of people in leather shorts as a backdrop. Although the social dimension of pipes has faded, most pipe smoking being done solo these days, there is still a social dimension. More compact briar pipes are what appeal to me, and cobs, on the basis that they are what I grew up around, provincial thought that may be.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I don't own one. Tyrolleans and Cavaliers just feel elaborate and theatrical. They almost require a beer hall full of people in leather shorts as a backdrop. Although the social dimension of pipes has faded, most pipe smoking being done solo these days, there is still a social dimension. More compact briar pipes are what appeal to me, and cobs, on the basis that they are what I grew up around, provincial thought that may be.
They are definitely theatrical, but the Cavalier is toned down considerably. I, as some may be aware, love mine ?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In old photographs of Austrian soldiers at the start of WW1 it seems like they were issued Tyrollean hunter pipes, so many are pictured smoking one. I found one on eBay maybe fifteen years ago and I’m very happy with it. It had a tassel, which is part of the style of these, which I leave off.

EE306491-3CD9-4D51-A22E-58CEDF553D53.jpegMine reads West Germany, and it’s a quality piece with good, well grained briar and nickel silver mounts. It was the devil to break in, takes nearly an ounce of tobacco, and looks ridiculous dangling from my teeth. I use it a lot during deer season for theatrical effect. I enjoy nothing more riding around on a Yamaha Rhino to the 18 different stands on my farm and urging all the invited guests to kill every damned one of the black meated, pasture eating, varmits the Missouri Department of Conservation restocked after the Pioneer Farmers killed every last one of them so we could raise cattle, hogs, and crops instead.

I exhort them to consider that no young mother with her babes asleep in a minivan is safe so long as a deer may jump in front of her without warning and destroy those precious souls in an instant. Don’t spare the small ones, they grow up to be just as dangerous to our way of life.

It’s also a good setting for a MacArthur cob, a Calabash, or a huge cigar.

But avoid the porcelain ones. The Germans that smoked those must have had leather tongues.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In old photographs of Austrian soldiers at the start of WW1 it seems like they were issued Tyrollean hunter pipes, so many are pictured smoking one. I found one on eBay maybe fifteen years ago and I’m very happy with it. It had a tassel, which is part of the style of these, which I leave off.

View attachment 139376

But avoid the porcelain ones. The Germans that smoked those must have had leather tongues.
porcelain is probably not going to make a come back anytime soon.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I got a few made out of porcelain...smoked it once ...tobacco tasted bad,it smoked hot and weird...I do smoke a few historic 160640075_808948189976366_2559928314349727806_n.jpgtyroleans made out of briar..They are great...The baden cherry stem make the pipe taste sweet and it smokes cool...

Reactions: jpmcwjr