PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Any pipes I get, I take pictures of. Either before and after of a restore, or just when I buy new ones. I like to see how they change after time, scars and all. I've been saving the pictures on a flash drive. I also have tobacciana articles saved, and the podcasts here too. Just filled my 64 gig flash drive, so I bought a two TB drive to switch it to.

Anyone else save their pictures?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I only use the sellers pictures I can't take a picture worth a damn. I also have no idea how to get a picture ofmy phone and into Imgur.
If you have a directory on your phone you don't have to. I always upload from my phone to the forum.

If I post a picture I make a new one, as I also want to show the tin. I don't have a lot of combinations, but it still seems more convenient to make a new one.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I don't methodically take pictures of every pipe but over on a watch forum I did start a thread for pipes (and tobacco) and watches so I do quite often (well once a week or so) take a picture of a pipe with a watch and post it to that forum (and also post to the daily - what are you wearing today threads - yeah, sad, I know).

Reactions: B.Lew and didimauw

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When I first started smoking a pipe, I tried to make it a point to take a Beauty Shot of every new pipe I purchased, even cobs. After a while, I got lazy and found it too cumbersome to be coming up with ideas and setting up the equipment and stuff. Hence I never got a photo of my Vauen Almar, the one that truly deserved such a photo. ?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have a thousand of pipe pictures just on my phone probably 3X that on my computer. I spent a long while looking for some this past week. I have pictures on my computer fairly well organized and I was able to locate them fairly quickly.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I always get a copy of photos on the seller website and otherwise just snap some photos when I first receive the pipe. Then there are the photos that are snapped freshly for each post on WAYS. I try to organise them under a pipes album on my phone.

Reactions: Toast and didimauw

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sure do! :)

This reminds me, need to build up the collection some more, especially for the historical aspects of pipes.

B0EB9E5A-E26E-443E-AC79-2DFE7D48B2EB.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been logging all my pipe restorations with before and after photos, since 2010. (nearly all also posted to the Reborn Pipes blog as well). On my pipe log, I'm at 385 pipes purchased since that time, with about 60 in my current collection. I don't know how many photo's that I've stored, but the file is 7.0 GB.

Brand leaders are:
Comoy's - 83 pipes
GBD - 94 pipes
Peterson - 32 pipes

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Pipes? Only if I've taken one in the past year or so and put it up on here, then it's with my photos on my phone or MacBook, but probably won't save them. LOL, I've only got 8 pipes, so I can always take another pic I guess and for me no trouble to get them out! I'm guessing there are many on here with pipes in storage harkening to the end of the original Indiana Jones movie! (And photos are a good idea for insurance purposes).

In general, I tend to save photos (large tub full of "regular" photos and negatives downstairs from pre-digital days) but I'll go through the digital ones and cull the herd from time to time. Last several years I've taken to compiling photos from trips into custom photo books - I like picking up a book and thumbing through it to look at photos and recall certain aspects of places we've been vs. just staring at the laptop. Now I think of it, that sounds like something perfect to do while enjoying a bowl!

Reactions: PipeIT and didimauw