Does anyone remember United Cigar in Santa Cruz?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
In Santa Cruz, California, there used to be an old fashioned tobacco shop on Pacific Ave. It was called United Cigar. Upon entering the place, a person was greeted with a wall of smoke, racks of newspapers and, as I remember it pictures of famous boxers of the 1950's and early 60's. It was dark in there, even at mid day. The glass jars of tobacco and cases held cigars and pipes. I believe there was also a case of fishing reels- The place had a crepuscular feel to it. A man's shop. Next to it, a tiny, single chair barber shop. The nearest growing fern was probably in the redwood covered Santa Cruz mountains, as it is doubtful that any plant could survive in there. But, as a boy I loved it. The men were large, bumptious and jocular. Sarcastic yet kind (in their way) to a toe headed kid like me.

Pacific Ave has changed a lot since the 1960's, of course. For anyone who has visited the place in recent years, can tell you what it's like. Resplendent yet seedy. Expensive yet down at its heals. When the University was built in 1968, everything began to change. slowly at first. Then all at once. The place filled up with students and their professors. Many chose to stay on after graduation. A couple of generations of students have grown old there. Like Berkeley with a Boardwalk.

Only recently did I learn the the old United cigar store was probably part of a retail chain. Though I remember no indications of that fact. The smells, the fluorescent lit cases of pipes, the high ceiling. The place was closed long ago- in the 1970's. But in my mind and memory, it is still there.

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Wish I had a memory to share…but I’m still laughing at the image of a “toe-headed kid”!

Given your vocabulary, I know this was just a funny slip of the typing fingers.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
In Santa Cruz, California, there used to be an old fashioned tobacco shop on Pacific Ave. It was called United Cigar. Upon entering the place, a person was greeted with a wall of smoke, racks of newspapers and, as I remember it pictures of famous boxers of the 1950's and early 60's. It was dark in there, even at mid day. The glass jars of tobacco and cases held cigars and pipes. I believe there was also a case of fishing reels- The place had a crepuscular feel to it. A man's shop. Next to it, a tiny, single chair barber shop. The nearest growing fern was probably in the redwood covered Santa Cruz mountains, as it is doubtful that any plant could survive in there. But, as a boy I loved it. The men were large, bumptious and jocular. Sarcastic yet kind (in their way) to a toe headed kid like me.

Pacific Ave has changed a lot since the 1960's, of course. For anyone who has visited the place in recent years, can tell you what it's like. Resplendent yet seedy. Expensive yet down at its heals. When the University was built in 1968, everything began to change. slowly at first. Then all at once. The place filled up with students and their professors. Many chose to stay on after graduation. A couple of generations of students have grown old there. Like Berkeley with a Boardwalk.

Only recently did I learn the the old United cigar store was probably part of a retail chain. Though I remember no indications of that fact. The smells, the fluorescent lit cases of pipes, the high ceiling. The place was closed long ago- in the 1970's. But in my mind and memory, it is still there.

Wish I had a memory to share…but I’m still laughing at the image of a “toe-headed kid”!

Given your vocabulary, I know this was just a funny slip of the typing fingers.
..and then there is the "famous boxers". Dont forget about those.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.

United Cigar would be on the right side.

Attachments

• ec6ac2bc3a1059bad1745142f2fc586f.jpg
    ec6ac2bc3a1059bad1745142f2fc586f.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: yanoJL