PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I am going to have to get a replacement stem for a Comoy's 107 Bulldog. I do not have the original, and would like to have a picture of what a complete 107 looks like.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't say I've ever heard of the 107 shape. Pipepedia says it is a Pot. This ad for a 107 also shows a Pot. Do you have a picture of your bowl?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=80255

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Thanks to your researching work I now realize that the 107 shape must have changed over the years. The pipe I have is a Perkins house brand pipe from the earlier days of Comoy's "Made in England" circular stamp, with no reference to London. I will get a picture up tomorrow. I spend this evening removing the broken-off tenon from this and another pipe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Hmmm, this may help as a jumping off point.
64com16-415x600.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dmcmtk, The 107 looks most similar to the three topmost pipes. I guess I now just have to decide between a saddle and a taper stem.
ssjones, The tenon was the only surviving part of the stem.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Here are some pictures of the stummel. As you can see, the condition is rough. I plan to return the stummel to clean, smokeable condition and get a pre-molded stem from Walker Pipe Repair. If the pipe proves to be a great smoker, I may spring for full restoration at Walker.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yep, and a Bulldog that has been in a scrap or two. It is decidedly not a Pot. I wonder if the Comoy's shape catalog underwent any major shape number reshuffling. If not for the fact that other Perkin's pipes I have seen use the same shape numbers as their Comoy's equivalents, I would say that Perkin's pipes had their own unique shape numbers.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just checking in again, of note is the "rugby-ball" shape of the COM. I would also agree as to it's being a Comoy's made pipe just looking at the font for the shape number. I recently bought a Sussex (named Comoy's second) from the same period, shape 105. No reference to the shape at all in the later post war catalogs...
sussexfin-003-600x450.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dmcmtk, I am almost certain mine is a Comoy-made pipe. So far as I know the Perkins shop had a longstanding arrangement with Comoy's for the production of Perkins house brand pipes.
That Sussex looks promising. I really like old, handworn blasts. The "rugby ball" logo dates from the 1940s and before, right? I am never quite sure about interpreting the Pipedia dating article.

Status
Not open for further replies.