Does anyone get a sore neck/throat/lymph nodes after smoking too much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I don’t know how to describe it but I have sort of a “sore throat” but not in a normal sick way, it’s a truly sore throat like I have a golfball stuck in my throat or got throat punched. It could be from drawing too much or just my body like, “woah woah woah, slow down there buddy”. Anyone else have this?

Reactions: JOHN72

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
You didn't get drunk and pass out at a gay bar did you? Playing beer pong, got hammered and killed a glass with the ball in it? If neither of those, if it persists, I'd see a doctor. Chances are, it's the onset of a cold or some other illness.
Lol, if by getting drunk and passing out at a gay bar you mean smoking my pipe on my commute home from work then sure 😂.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don’t know how to describe it but I have sort of a “sore throat” but not in a normal sick way, it’s a truly sore throat like I have a golfball stuck in my throat or got throat punched. It could be from drawing too much or just my body like, “woah woah woah, slow down there buddy”. Anyone else have this?
You might want to see a doctor if that persists

Sore throat may just be from smoking too much
But sore throat with swollen lymph nodes may be a sign of a throat infection or throat cancer.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
@fishmansf, it's possible the way you're clenching the pipe might be causing your throat and neck muscles to go into spasm. If that's the case, your throat and the supporting muscles will feel tender when you press on them. The feeling will be more like an ache than a burn.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
See a doctor for safety sake. Perhaps modify how you smoke - cadence and rythym. What brand are you smoking ? Maybe switch and see if this changes. I am highly sensitive to burleys and get that if I smoke burleys ... so I choose to avoid burley blends to avoid those symptoms.

Reactions: dunnyboy and Kobold

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If I smoke too much of blends containing perique, I'll get some minor throat irritation in the form of dryness or a tickle in the back of my throat. Haven't noticed any sore throat from smoking and I do not inhale. When I smoke, I drink plenty of fluids (coffee & root beer) to help keep my throat moist and that helps.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
When I first started, I puffed too hard and smoked my tobaccos too wet, which led to cooking my lymph nodes. It can also give you a sore throat feeling with mild flue-like symptoms. If this is the same for you, just lay off the pipe for a few weeks, and when you come back to it, dry the hell out of your tobaccos and practice smoking as slow as humanly possible. YMMV