Does Anyone Find Certain Latakia Blends More Pungent than Others?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have some old bone dry Latakia tins that I am planning on rehydrating - I don't think I will have a problem and it was done successfully in the past, but upon opening the tins I noticed that some of these (Syrian ones specifically by brebbia) waft some really awful 'roasted woody mulch/manure' like odor - even more so than when it was fresh - I had a pair of sunglasses sitting in near vicinity to the tins for literally 20 minutes - they reek! A family member literally said "yuck, what's that smell?"
I thought I like Latakia but what gives - why is this so damn potent?
all the moist Latakia blends I have by say Watch City aren't nasal nuisance
It's actually giving me second thoughts on even reinvigorating to smoke it? - what's your take?

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Yes, I've also noticed this on some blends but I did elect to re-hydrate with moderate success. Which Brebbia blend specifically? The one I'm thinking of was Brebbia Balkan with Syrian.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Yes, I've also noticed this on some blends but I did elect to re-hydrate with moderate success. Which Brebbia blend specifically? The one I'm thinking of was Brebbia Balkan with Syrian.
yes! that one - do you smoke it? do you enjoy it? do you think it gets worse as it dries out? its like seeing a seductive whore sober the following morning in her robe without her makeup

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
yes! that one - do you smoke it? do you enjoy it? do you think it gets worse as it dries out? its like seeing a seductive whore sober the following morning in her robe without her makeup
I didn't smoke it prior to re-hydrating so I'm not sure if it was worse. Strangely, I found my preference to lean toward the cyprian version of this blend. Sweeter latakia blends tend to hit my palate better lately.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Question: If I throw it in a jar with some fresh cyprian latakia blend - how ong do you think it will take to absorb some moisture? a week? 2 weeks?

I've done this with a dry Margate tin - mixed 2006 with 2012 and 2016 to get the moisture content back up and running. Took a couple of weeks for things to even out but your mileage may vary.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I've done this with a dry Margate tin - mixed 2006 with 2012 and 2016 to get the moisture content back up and running. Took a couple of weeks for things to even out but your mileage may vary.
was going to try fresh carolina red since it's just VA - to meld with the latakia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia does not have a good room note in the best of circumstances. I'd nominate it as the least spouse friendly condiment tobacco in the world. It's debatable whether it makes a blend aromatic -- technically I'd say yes. The proportion of Latakia that goes into blends varies widely, so of course it can be barely tastable or knock-you-down strong. My main objection to it is that, along with Perique, it is over-used, almost a default condiment. When in doubt, throw in some Latakia, and some Perique for good measure. Used properly, usually sparingly, I love 'em both. But let's have that whole range of Orientals, cigar leaf, unflavored black Cavendish, and burleys and Virginias along with, or instead of it in many other blends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never liked latakia until there was no more Syrian. I don't know if my tastes have changed or if Cyprian is more to my taste. I suspect it's the second because your description of the smell reminds me of my previous opinion of Latakia. A taste I almost like but there is something to it that is so sensually offensive to kill any and all possible enjoyment. That said I've always had a sweet spot for dark fired

Mar 1, 2014
I have some old bone dry Latakia tins that I am planning on rehydrating - I don't think I will have a problem and it was done successfully in the past, but upon opening the tins I noticed that some of these (Syrian ones specifically by brebbia) waft some really awful 'roasted woody mulch/manure' like odor - even more so than when it was fresh - I had a pair of sunglasses sitting in near vicinity to the tins for literally 20 minutes - they reek! A family member literally said "yuck, what's that smell?"
I thought I like Latakia but what gives - why is this so damn potent?
all the moist Latakia blends I have by say Watch City aren't nasal nuisance
It's actually giving me second thoughts on even reinvigorating to smoke it? - what's your take?
Forget the bystanders, you have some of the most prized tobacco on the market right there.

Latakia itself doesn't smell or taste like much of anything besides "Smoke" (at least in the bulk samples I've had, it could be that Syrian Latakia is an entirely different beast), in most blends it's the Orientals that fill out the flavor of a good Lat blend.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have a couple pounds of precious Syrian latakia left that I love. It burns slow and mellow with a wonderful mouth feel. That said; it is NOT an indoor tobacco. I think we're all different in the way we perceive smells. I love the woodsy, smoky, peaty smell of Latakia (goes great with my 16 year aged single malt Lagavulin), but I can't understand for the life of me how some of you smoke heavy Virginias. The nastiest thing I ever smoked was some Mac Baren's 5100; like smoking hot catsup! I know it must be good because I trust that others here have good taste, but it offends my palate in every way. If you don't like the Lat I'll give you my address ;)

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Sure, some are more pungent than others. I guess it depends on how much is in there and what else it's in there with.

It is funny, though. Mrs. Rookie will give me such a look as she's closing windows of I'm out on the porch smoking a heavy English. But if we're both outside, she'll somehow acquire my lit pipe of latikia forward tobacco faster than the fries on my plate she "doesn't want".

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Condiment tobaccos are one of the fine arts of professional blenders. Like spices in food, frequently it is the presence of just a little of a condiment or spice that makes for a superb flavor.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Latakia does not have a good room note in the best of circumstances. I'd nominate it as the least spouse friendly condiment tobacco in the world. It's debatable whether it makes a blend aromatic -- technically I'd say yes. The proportion of Latakia that goes into blends varies widely, so of course it can be barely tastable or knock-you-down strong. My main objection to it is that, along with Perique, it is over-used, almost a default condiment. When in doubt, throw in some Latakia, and some Perique for good measure. Used properly, usually sparingly, I love 'em both. But let's have that whole range of Orientals, cigar leaf, unflavored black Cavendish, and burleys and Virginias along with, or instead of it in many other blends.
Just got Peterson Baltic Blend yesterday and honestly could tell much difference for the local tobacconist’s blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.