PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The Doctor of Pipes honor is awarded annually by the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. It is awarded by a vote of the living Doctor of Pipes. It is extremely coveted award.

The Master of Pipes is reserved for those individuals under 40. This was an award created by the CPCC to individuals under 40 for contribution to the hobby.
Right on.
So what is the criteria?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve only been at this for 5-6 years, never been to a pipe show, and I knew about it. I just assumed it was widely known about in the pipe world.
thanks to those who posted info and links. Much appreciated!
nope this is the first time I've heard of it. Then again I kind of have a jaded jaundiced view of awards and the such.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The Chicago Pipe Club awards it at their show.
I don’t get you guys who are pissing on this.
I agree - I'm waiting to see who wins, then I'll piss all over 'em! :)

Seriously, I had no idea and will look forward to reading about them.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
And just who can award such a thing? What are their qualifications and credentials? Sounds like some mutual admiration society to me. puffy

You seem to implying that qualifications and credentials are more than their own mutual admiration society these days. I hate to contradict, but I’m afraid its mutual admiration societies all the way down. The only difference is which ones have the best press. :LOL:

Reactions: romaso

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Right on.
So what is the criteria?
Each year two people are selected to receive this award. One is a professional in the business and the other is a hobbyist. Each nominee must have at least 20 years in the hobby or trade and through his or her activities must have aided in the growth of the hobby.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Each year two people are selected to receive this award. One is a professional in the business and the other is a hobbyist. Each nominee must have at least 20 years in the hobby or trade and through his or her activities must have aided in the growth of the hobby.
Thanks for providing that explanation.

Reactions: kcghost

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You’re a pretty resourceful guy. I’m betting maybe you knew what the OP was speaking of, but decided to strike a pose instead. Same for Warren.
Sorry, I'm thousands of miles from Chicago with no interest in pipe clubs per se. But, I wouldn't think of disparaging what club does. I simply have no interest in that club or any particular club. But, good on them for their rites and stuff. Nor would I call the award petty, I'm sure the members are sincere in their efforts to recognize certain people.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Sorry, I'm thousands of miles from Chicago with no interest in pipe clubs per se. But, I wouldn't think of disparaging what club does. I simply have no interest in that club or any particular club. But, good on them for their rites and stuff. Nor would I call the award petty, I'm sure the members are sincere in their efforts to recognize certain people.
I voted for you to be King of Pipes, but was outvoted.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If some of you think this award is petty that's fine but don't go crapping all over it if you don't appreciate it.
Don't worry about it. The people doing the crapping in this instance are people whose opinions on the matter, don't and won't matter.
The Doctor of Pipes is a fun idea and represents recognition of a person's efforts to promote pipe smoking. It's also not the only example of this kind of recognition. Saint Claude has the Confrérie des Maîtres-Pipiers, similar recognition and is a much older award than Chicagoland's Doctor of pipes.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
From the CPCC website
The Master of Pipes designation of an individual is an award for achievement and service to the hobby of pipe collecting. Nominees must be age 45 or under with a minimum of 10 years in the pipe collecting community. The program is administered by the Governor of the Master of Pipes Program and will review each nomination. Each year two individuals shall be designated as Master of Pipes. One individual shall be named from pipe or tobacco industry, including the manufacture, wholesale, and retail branches thereof. And one individual shall be named from the members of the pipe collecting hobby.
Each year individuals shall be elected by those individuals holding the Doctor of Pipes and Master of Pipes designation. Upon conclusion of the election, the Governor of the Doctor of Pipes shall advise the President of the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club of the two individuals chosen by election. The President of the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club shall grant the designation Master of Pipes to the elected individuals.

Reactions: chopper and ron123

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in the 80s there was a magazine called PIPE SMOKER that awared such a thing. I went to several of their shows. From what I could tell the awards were give out to the publisher's friends and business associates. puffy

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The Doctor of Pipes honor is awarded annually by the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. It is awarded by a vote of the living Doctor of Pipes. It is extremely coveted award.

The Master of Pipes is reserved for those individuals under 40. This was an award created by the CPCC to individuals under 40 for contribution to the hobby.
It's actually 45 and under for Masters, but honestly, that's something that's been stretched in the past and needs to be reviewed going forward.

Both awards have an industry recipient and an enthusiast recipient.

Reactions: kcghost