PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
@ofafeather
Do you have any suggestions re blends a J.A Blacl lover should try?
Haven’t tried JA Black yet but it’s on my list. A few sweet English blends that come to mind that I’ve tried and like are:

Sutliff Edward G Robinson
Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English
Wilke Crystal Palace
Samuel Gawith Perfection - more of a traditional English blend with a hint of vanilla.
Kramer’s Father Dempsey - haven’t tried it yet but I have a tin in the cellar. It’s come up a lot recently

I remember seeing other sweet English blends mentioned in recent threads but can’t call them to mind. Maybe others can add to this list.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I’ve read that this blend is a Frog Morton style with a fuller body to it. Can anyone comment on that? I’ve never tried a Sillem’s. I’m still lookin for a Frog replacement.

Reactions: ofafeather

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I’ve read that this blend is a Frog Morton style with a fuller body to it. Can anyone comment on that? I’ve never tried a Sillem’s. I’m still lookin for a Frog replacement.
I don't think Frog Morton was quite as aromatic. This has more "flavoring" added I think.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
@elesar
Thanks for your response elessar - glad to hear it

As a less experienced pipe smoker I am still discovering many tobaccos. I really enjoy Sillem’s/J.A Black. Can you suggest any blends with similar flavor profiles?
The Sillems Black is unique with the Latakia. Not something usually in aromatics. I would say Lane HGL would be in the same vein but not necessarily in the same league. The price is right on the HGL so it may be worth a try (I recall it is RLP6 with some Latakia). Sutliff Count Pulaski would also be a similar type blend. I have some Burma Road but have yet to try it. By description it would seem similar. All I have listed probably have less of the fruity aromatic flavors.

In the direction of citrus I highly reccomend Rattray's Exotic Passion. Peterson's Founders Choice was also great but not in production anymore. If you like the citrus fruity flavors Erinmore Mixture may be of interest as well as the less "flavored" but equally good and stronger Erinmore Flake.

You could always try adding a small touch of blending Latakia to an aromatic you enjoy as well.

I smoke mostly English and Balkan stuff so I would have more suggestions if you venture further from aromatics.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Haven’t tried JA Black yet but it’s on my list. A few sweet English blends that come to mind that I’ve tried and like are:

Sutliff Edward G Robinson
Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English
Wilke Crystal Palace
Samuel Gawith Perfection - more of a traditional English blend with a hint of vanilla.
Kramer’s Father Dempsey - haven’t tried it yet but I have a tin in the cellar. It’s come up a lot recently

I remember seeing other sweet English blends mentioned in recent threads but can’t call them to mind. Maybe others can add to this list.
Thanks for the suggestions a couple of the blends you mentioned are on my need to try list.
I looked around a bit and found that there are a number of threads here about aromatics with Latakia, sweet Latakia blends, adding blending Latakia to aromatics etc.
I’ve got a lot of reading and smoking to do!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the suggestions a couple of the blends you mentioned are on my need to try list.
I looked around a bit and found that there are a number of threads here about aromatics with Latakia, sweet Latakia blends, adding blending Latakia to aromatics etc.
I’ve got a lot of reading and smoking to do!
Edward G Robinson is one of my favorites by the way. It's just really good.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
The Sillems Black is unique with the Latakia. Not something usually in aromatics. I would say Lane HGL would be in the same vein but not necessarily in the same league. The price is right on the HGL so it may be worth a try (I recall it is RLP6 with some Latakia). Sutliff Count Pulaski would also be a similar type blend. I have some Burma Road but have yet to try it. By description it would seem similar. All I have listed probably have less of the fruity aromatic flavors.

In the direction of citrus I highly reccomend Rattray's Exotic Passion. Peterson's Founders Choice was also great but not in production anymore. If you like the citrus fruity flavors Erinmore Mixture may be of interest as well as the less "flavored" but equally good and stronger Erinmore Flake.

You could always try adding a small touch of blending Latakia to an aromatic you enjoy as well.

I smoke mostly English and Balkan stuff so I would have more suggestions if you venture further from aromatics.
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
I will definitely be tryingHGL,urma Road and Count Pulaski. I’m also considering getting some blending Latakia.

For the moment I’ve just discovered and I’m really liking Bengal Slices.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
I will definitely be tryingHGL,urma Road and Count Pulaski. I’m also considering getting some blending Latakia.

For the moment I’ve just discovered and I’m really liking Bengal Slices.
If you're on the path to Bengal Slices I would reccomend Russ's Tastykake.

Status
Not open for further replies.