PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I still have mine, a cheap Medico from a corner store. It still has the mark on it from my first attempt at smoking when it fell out of my mouth as I tried to clench it. I still make every other mistake at pipe smoking, but I haven't lost another pipe from the clench!

Jun 4, 2014
I have mine, a bent Dr. Graybow. It sits in a box on the shelf in my shop, maybe some day I'll try to exercise the ghost that haunts it and bring it back into my rotation.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i still have my first pipe - brigham - given to me as a gift 15th birthday 60 years ago -

not a great smoker today - given to me by a friend's father who smoked pure latakia & only!dunhills

but he bought me a brigham.
now then my next pipe was my father's - a large rhodesian - the bowl was about 2" mid diameter carved in layers like steps with alcoves in levels concentric from the centre . it was a fantastic smoker - i smoked 4 blends & the stem was some sort of vulcanite that took on the flavor of the last blend i smoked so i always knew what i had smoked last - it was not a ghost - the flavor remained on that stem until the next smoke which then applied its flavor - - well ... went to my cousin's friend's home & forgot it there ...called the next day - nope aint no pipe here - BUT just so happened the friend's father was a pipe smoker - 60 years later it still hurts as it was my old mans pipe - he gave it to me with great pride.

i have bought about 8 rhodesians from boswells but still miss that first one from my old man 60 years ago.
ps - middleton cherry, erinmore , 3 nuns & london dock

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Nope. When I first started pipe smoking 8 years ago, I threw away a beautiful Japanese Roland billiard briar after continuously burning my mouth on that infernal, chemically-laced evil stuff called Captain Black Regular. :x I actually gave up pipe smoking for a while after that horrible experience. Glad I came back and learned how important it is to smoke better quality tobacco.
Wish I still had that first pipe though...

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I do. It was just a basket pipe, black rusticated bent apple shape. It isn't great, but I keep it to remember. Back then I tried to figure out who made it and found the exact pipe, down to every last detail, made by Brindisi. I now realize that it doesn't matter. Cavendish blends tend to go in it, which I smoke very rarely.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Yes. It's a Peterson System Standard XL315 that I bought in 1992. I rarely smoke it, but it's ready to go.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yep, its a Czech made bent brandy basket pipe I picked up in April of 2011. For a first pipe it was a great starter pipe, and after I removed the stinger it was much better. It still smokes pretty wet, but not a bad first pipe. I smoke it only a couple times a year now.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Well puffermark, a 32 years old Golden Square from John Redman Ltd.

That is something, I would say.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep, Kaywoodie Fine Line.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Yup! I’ve got my 3 dot Brigham freehand that was my fathers, as well as the lorenzetti bent apple I bought myself when I got serious. Neither are smoked often however.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I found mine today among things I had packed up from my office in the Army. A Grabow I had in Afghanistan. My mom sent it to me with a bottle of wine as a morale boost. My mom was the greatest.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nope. I don't even know what it was. All I know is that I bought it at a local drug store when I was 14 along with a pouch of Borkum Riff. It was horrible. That was about 34 years ago.
I had repeated that experiment a few more times until I was in my early 20's and found a real tobacconist and bought several meerschaums and some store blends. I don't have those pipes either. Although I wish I did.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Yep, a little Yellow Vole pug I got about 1967. You talk about tounge bite, wow !Smoked it recently, same tobacco, no bite ! Maybe I've learned something in the past 50 years ! ;-)

May 4, 2015
I do not. I bought a Brebbia bent billiard when I turned 18 at a tobacconist in Monterey, CA. About 11 moves later, it's missing.

tom78

Lurker
Dec 2, 2014
Well, i smoke pipe for three years, but the pipe that got me into smoking was my fathers oscar savinelli wich my mother boguht to him, some 40 years ago. My father was never a pipe smoker but that pipe is forever in my family and so i can consider it as my first pipe ever.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Still do and still love the pipe. A Peterson 69 Flame Grain. Was a gift from a good friend while I was in college and working part time at the local cigar shop.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Yes. An Owl Shop, New Haven College Street small billiard. Still smoke great and still a favorite.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
No, and I wish I did. It is somewhere on the bottom of a trout stream in Eastern Oregon. Fell out of my vest pocket and could not be found again.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Yes! A beautiful estate Vauen I purchased at a church bazaar for two bits. Meerschaum-lined bowl in great condition. Deep rich ruby brown smooth briar bowl. Still smokes like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.