PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedragonx

Lurker
Oct 4, 2010
Sure do, work is just 10 minutes down the road so I leave a little early and finish my smoke in the parking lot before going in. Jan 2010 here in North Carolina a law was passed that forced a close to our smoking room in work, now all smoking must be done in the great out of doors. Smoking Nazis struck again!!
Mark

Jan 3, 2011
Alone driving + 30 minute drive = pipe loaded and smoking.

Another pipe smoker along + 30 minute drive = pipes loaded and smoking, and the windows are cracked.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Jan 2010 here in North Carolina a law was passed that forced a close to our smoking room in work, now all smoking must be done in the great out of doors. Smoking Nazis struck again!!
Can you expand on that? My employer is still smoking in our office as he is the owner, so he does whatever the hell he wants to, so the rest of us have to breathe all his nasty-ass cigarette smoke all day long.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
No. I'm a fast driver with a manual transmission and a short commute. I don't think I could enjoy a pipe in that atmosphere and it would be a waste of good tobacco.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Negative.
I smoke a pipe to escape,.....and I can't do that while driving.

When I light up a pipe... it's gotta be the only thing I'm doing at the time or I can't enjoy it,...I can do that with a cigar for some reason, but not a pipe.
Fredvegas brought up a good point. As a firefighter who's worked hundreds of minor fender benders where the airbag has deployed,....clothes get burned to the skin, eyeglasses, noses and arms get broken, people get hurt bad by airbags every day.
:( Something to consider.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I drive an hour or more each way to work so I always have time for a bowl. If I'm out driving with the wife it is usually something she enjoys also. By myself it is the "stinky" stuff I sometimes appreciate.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Mole said
I load my pipe before I go to bed so I don't have to screw with it when I'm half asleep and can smoke on my way to work...
The only difference is I only make occasional morning trips in the car because

I'M RETIRED AND I DON'T HAVE TO GO TO WORK :nana:
On a more serious note, I think everyone who smokes a pipe while driving

should go back and re-read Tommy's & Fredvegas' posts; and heed their

advice. Stay safe so you can stay with us.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
I tried smoking my pipe during my commute but the re-lighting is a b*#&! on my motorcycle.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Enjoyed some Avalon in a Dunhill lovat just this morning. Great bowl. Serene. I find that I don't want to listen to the usual din of talk or sports radio when I'm smoking. I'd rather enjoy the silence or some jazz maybe.
The best is if there's a Cardinals game on the radio though.

They're back on KMOX next year, for anyone that cares.

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
depends, if it's a long road trip with little traffic I will light up and enjoy the ride, but I dont bother when fighting traffic. I find myself reverting back to the way I use to smoke cigs, I draw too quickly end up with mild bite.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mattia76, Ya, I care. :evil:

The Cards are always kickin' the crap out of my beloved Cubbies! :cry:

I hope you have a lousy baseball season this year. :wink:

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
I bicycle everywhere, and a pipe is always enjoyable for that. In the back of my head I sometimes envision myself as a locomotive. LOL. When I used to drive, I preferred the pipe to cigarettes.

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
I enjoy a pipe on my drive home every day. I have just over an hour drive and puffing along on a bowl helps me relax, put work behind me, and severly inhibits possible incidents of road rage :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Absolutely!

:laughat: When I was young and invincible I bought mostly bent pipes, because I didn't like the idea of making contact with the steering wheel and involuntarily swallowing my pipe. I figured that a bent pipe wouldn't be such a hazard. :oops:

Now-a-days; the Road Rage Reduction Factor is well worth the extra couple of minutes it takes to load a pipe before any commute.
There are three pipe smokers in my area that I see on a semi-regular basis. Never met them personally, but we do recognize each others cars and give a perfunctory nod, touch of the brim, or raise our pipes in salutation and recognition of our shared passion.

mastertech

Lurker
Jan 11, 2011
I just posted in the introduction area as I am new to this site and pipe smoking, but I just wanted to say that for me having a pipe while I drive is my favorite time to smoke the pipe. I live a life that is very busy sometimes to busy, and my hour long commute on rural roads is often the only time I get by myself to relax. The first time I tried to smoke the pipe while driving I ended up having to pull over to load, pack and light the pipe. Now I like others have mentioned, have figured out to pack and char light before leaving. Then when in the car and ready for the pipe, I just have to light and puff. I'm a former cigarette smoker and I have to say I think the pipe is easier to handle while driving, as you don't have ash to constantly deal with. If the pipe goes out you can wait till it's safe to relight, but the hot ash of a cigarette won't wait.
Alan

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Cortezattic, I whole-heartedly (and with much love) wish the same to you!
I just got a 99 Corolla, exclusively for it's commuting excellence (and it was given to me:)).

In the process now of turning it into a pipe-smoking machine.
What blends/types have you found that leave a more pleasant aroma in the car, long-term?

Status
Not open for further replies.