PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This thread is just so wrong on so many levels, it's like drinking bong water.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I use Everclear for many of my cleaning processes. If a pipe is bad enough for the bowl to need a bath to start the cleaning process, it is done in a large lidded jar four or five at a time. The alcohol is then strained into another jar for reuse. The pipe is then reassembled and giver a retort, usually several times, with the shank and mortise scrubbed with brushes between retorts. Alcohol tossed after each retort. I never dip a used pipe cleaner in my ball jar of cleaning Everclear, so no need to toss that when done. The bit is then cleaned with pipe cleaners and soaked in my detergent solution, and the bit and stummel are rinsed off. When you do a bunch of pipes each month, you develop a system that works.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I've never had any alcohol waste cleaning a pipe, I would worry too much about messing up the finish to flush one with alcohol.
Ream the bulk out, wet swabs and pipe cleaners in a little vial but they only ever get dipped in there once so it never gets dirty. Salt treatments evaporate off. If I used a retort I would toss that stuff.
The stuff I'm drinking I only drink once!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I don't reuse it but I am going to try to save as much as I can from the next pipe I have to clean and try to reuse in in the next cleaning after that.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Eww and why? I have seen many an old thread brought up for current discussion. This one seems an odd choice.
And no. Joking aside I would never reuse alcohol full of pipe gunk.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
I just dip my pipe cleaner into the bottle and brush out the pipe. If there is a way to recycle while doing that, I can't think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.