Do you remove the stem for each cleaning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Generally, I remove the stem at the end of a day's use, not after every bowl. The water rinse does it for me, followed by scrubbing out the mortise and airway. Never had a problem with the fit or snapping of the tenon, with the exception of acrylic tenons on estates that had been cleaned with alcohol and developed micro fractures. I've had to replace several of those acrylic tenons.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
It's rare that I remove the stem. More often than not, it is because I need to deep clean the airway and cut the cake. I used to clean like crazy after every smoke, but I honestly haven't found my pipes perform any better with the occasional deep cleaning.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am one of the lazy ones,I remove my Peterson system pipes stem to clean the well after each smoke,and store for a day with it out.Any other pipe gats the stem removed maybe once in 10 bowlfuls when I clean stem,mortise and draught hole with alcohol

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
While some smokers will say that it doesnt matter, I was always afraid that I would break the tennon if I removed the stem. Even though that never happened, I usually would just run a pipe cleaner through it!